McDonald’s all day breakfast is coming. This is NOT a drill

Started by garbon, March 31, 2015, 04:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

derspiess

They definitely benefitted from the sagging economy and I think they figured they would continue to coast. 

I will say that the renovated locations look nicer.  Just wish they'd make the grilled chicken sandwich worth what they charge for it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

frunk

Of the big three (McD, Burger King, Wendy's) I think McD has changed their menu the most, or at least offered the most new items.  Where their problem is is trying to become more upmarket.  BK and smaller cheapo places are beating them on the low side (I regularly get BK coupons), Wendy's and 5 Guys and others are better on the high side or at least have a better reputation among people who haven't eaten at a McD in years.

Caliga

Quote from: frunk on March 31, 2015, 01:10:31 PM
Of the big three (McD, Burger King, Wendy's) I think McD has changed their menu the most, or at least offered the most new items.
Oh yeah... but does McDonald's have an equivalent to the YUMBO!?  I don't think so. :sleep:

Admiral Yi

BK is cheaper than Mickeys?  I've always thought of them as a notch up.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on March 31, 2015, 01:02:17 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 31, 2015, 12:55:39 PM
I don't care for the food but I'm very surprised to see them having such big trouble.
I'm not.  They've done very little to substantially change their menu in recent years, the burgers are of subpar quality, and they face intense competition from fast casual chains like Five Guys, Smashburger, Shake Shack, The Habit, etc., not to mention renewed competition from other chains in their sector like Wendy's that have tried (and succeeded) to revamp their offerings.

Fine, but "bankrupt in 10 years or less" is still nonsense.

It's still immensely profitable.  There were some doom and gloom stories when McD suffered a one per cent drop in earnings last year (or was it quarter).  The stock market didn't like it, but it's hardly a threat to the very viability of the company.

Think about Radioshack.  That company was the walking dead for 10 or even 20 years before it went into bankruptcy.  McDonalds isn't remotely close to that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2015, 01:12:49 PM
BK is cheaper than Mickeys?  I've always thought of them as a notch up.

I haven't been in a year or two, but when I get a sandwich, drink, fries it rings up a buck or two cheaper than when I go to McDs.  That's without the incessant coupons I keep getting for BK.

Caliga

@ Beeb You might be surprised how fast restaurant chains can crash and burn.  I think Radioshack held on so long because there were lots of old people who thought that was the only place they could go to get their hearing aid batteries, and enough of them have now died off that they couldn't keep the chain afloat.  I doubt there's anyone out there who thinks McDonald's is the only place you can go to get a hamburger.

Admiral Yi

A hundred clams says Mickeys is not dead in 10 years.  Individual franchises maybe, but I can't see the parent company dying by then.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2015, 01:23:37 PM
A hundred clams says Mickeys is not dead in 10 years.  Individual franchises maybe, but I can't see the parent company dying by then.
I guess the more likely result is the shareholders will oust upper management if they can't figure something out, and then whomever they bring in figures something out to save the chain. :hmm:

Maximus

Wake me up when they serve burgers etc in the morning.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on March 31, 2015, 01:22:04 PM
@ Beeb You might be surprised how fast restaurant chains can crash and burn.  I think Radioshack held on so long because there were lots of old people who thought that was the only place they could go to get their hearing aid batteries, and enough of them have now died off that they couldn't keep the chain afloat.  I doubt there's anyone out there who thinks McDonald's is the only place you can go to get a hamburger.

There are restaurant chains, and then there's freakin McDonalds.  It has a brand power and cultural awareness that is without compare.  And yes, while people may intellectually know there areother places you can get a hamburger, there are plenty of people to whom McDonalds is the only place they'll go to get a fast food hamburger.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on March 31, 2015, 01:26:29 PM
Wake me up when they serve burgers etc in the morning.

All part of this balanced breakfast.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I could see McD's scaling back at some point, but going tits up?  Just don't see that happening in my lifetime.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall