And we're back!

Main Menu

PETA protests Obama killing a fly

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2009, 11:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2009, 02:00:42 PM
Quote from: Cerr on June 18, 2009, 11:56:47 AM
I don't know why you're taking this non-story seriously.

Some journalist probably asked PETA to respond to Obama's swatting of the fly. They say some fairly harmless things, get free publicity and the journalist gets an article to write.
Dude, they sent him a humane fly catcher.
Hmmm... if that actually attracts/lures a fly into the trap, so I can get rid of it from indoors easier, I might even use one. It's a damn hassle trying to kill/remove a fly that's gotten into the house!

DGuller

Did he wash his hand after the deed?  Flies are not particularly sanitary, especially when squashed.

Valmy

This reminds me of the ridiculous controversy over George HW Bush saying he doesn't like Broccoli.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2009, 02:10:32 PM
This reminds me of the ridiculous controversy over George HW Bush saying he doesn't like Broccoli.
Them are fighting words.  :mad:

jimmy olsen

George HW Bush doesn't like Broccoli.
One of the reasons he'll always be my hero. -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

I love broccoli, but alas, I still couldn't hold this against President Bush. 

Drakken

Ironically, PETA is against the "no kill movement" and regularly euthanizes most animals that are surrendered to them.  :huh:

QuoteAccording to the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, PETA euthanized 1,946 companion animals (out of 2,138 animals surrendered to them or picked up as strays) in its home state of Virginia in 2005.[87] During that same year, 126,797 animals (out of 228,376 animals surrendered or picked up as strays) were euthanized at animal shelters in Virginia.[88] San Francisco Chronicle columnist Debra J. Saunders reported that, according to PETA "In 2003, PETA euthanized over 85 percent of the animals it took in, finding adoptive homes for just 14 percent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETA#Policy_on_euthanasia

Caliga

They're allowed to kill animals, but nobody else can.  They just love animals to death.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

Quote from: Martinus on June 18, 2009, 01:58:02 PM
LOL when I saw that clip with Obama killing the fly, I joked that PETA is going to protest it.  :huh:

can you guys read? PETA was asked for a reaction quote of a clip in wide circulation and they gave one.

there was no "protest". it didn't even warrant a PETA press release. they have a large number of bizarre activities, but this wasn't one of them.
humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on June 18, 2009, 07:22:44 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 18, 2009, 01:58:02 PM
LOL when I saw that clip with Obama killing the fly, I joked that PETA is going to protest it.  :huh:

can you guys read? PETA was asked for a reaction quote of a clip in wide circulation and they gave one.
And they gave a quote that was bizzare and frightening.  Sure, it was in line with their message of hate, but it was still weird.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

It really would have been impressive if he had caught the fly with chop sticks or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on June 18, 2009, 03:48:24 PM
They're allowed to kill animals, but nobody else can.  They just love animals to death.  :)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Darth Wagtaros

Mark my words, PETA will one day soon release a bioweapon to cleanse the world of us humans.  They are monsters. ;(
PDH!