[board] The Battlestar Galactica Languish Project

Started by Tamas, June 18, 2009, 09:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

There goes Starbuck and her insubordinate attitude. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2009, 09:06:05 AM
There goes Starbuck and her insubordinate attitude. :D

OOC: Yep.  It's nice to be able to role-play a character so completely different from my own.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

garbon, if you are certain you want to play a particular card/location regardless of what skillcards you draw, go ahead and announce it. I will be doing the carddraw in an hour, probably a bit earlier.

Berkut

Your plan was based on the idea that we would be lucky, and the enemy unlucky, while engaging in battle with 5 civilian ships on the field against significant opposition that would be activating.

The real options where choosing to risk many more people on a military operation with poor odds of success and cutting our losses and dealing with the problems we have now instead of asking for more. There are still three raiders out there. How about we focus on destroying them and getting out of here instead of asking for more trouble we are not well equipped to handle.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 01:23:34 AM
The Quorum does not have to make the hard decisions. If I were a Cylon, I imagine I would be keen to have the Galactica go up against another basestar and 6 more raiders though.

I would remind the Admiral that as head of the military branch, he must report his actions to the presidency. I cannot truly weigh in on the military matters but the decision to sacrifice civilians cannot and should not be made lightly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2009, 09:23:25 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 01:23:34 AM
The Quorum does not have to make the hard decisions. If I were a Cylon, I imagine I would be keen to have the Galactica go up against another basestar and 6 more raiders though.

I would remind the Admiral that as head of the military branch, he must report his actions to the presidency. I cannot truly weigh in on the military matters but the decision to sacrifice civilians cannot and should not be made lightly.

Consider my actions reported, Mr. President.

0 rows returned

Martinus

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on June 25, 2009, 09:42:15 AM
So why isn't garbon taking his turn yet?

He is too busy whining about the mean Admiral.

How far can our Vipers move by the way? Seem unfortunate that they are all on one side of the fleet, while the things for them to shoot are on the other.

0 rows returned

Tamas

:lol: I can so picture this debate as a scene from an episode

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 09:13:35 AM
Your plan was based on the idea that we would be lucky, and the enemy unlucky, while engaging in battle with 5 civilian ships on the field against significant opposition that would be activating.
My plan was based on no such thing.  It was based on a sound grasp of military probabilities, and not hysterical creation of boogyman choices.  The raiders were as far away from the civilians as they could get, and were bunched up.  We could easily have gotten vipers into intercept positions, while moving the civilian ships away from the fight.  We know exactly how the enemy behaves in combat, and can exploit that.  Six raiders is a significant threat, but a manageable one.  It doesn't take all good luck on our part and all bad luck on the enemy's to win battles.

QuoteThe real options where choosing to risk many more people on a military operation with poor odds of success and cutting our losses and dealing with the problems we have now instead of asking for more. There are still three raiders out there. How about we focus on destroying them and getting out of here instead of asking for more trouble we are not well equipped to handle.
We must stay until we can jump.  That almost certainly means fighting.  Since only 65% of the crisis cards advance the jump count, we can expect to endure 10 crises before we jump.  In the late crises, we may have to choose to sacrifice pop or morale or whatever because we are low on skill cards, but we need to fight for all the resources we can while we are strong.  We will never be better-equipped to handle crises than at the beginning.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

And we can stay well equipped if we don't waste resources on crisis without good odds of ending up with a superior outcome. Like going up against an active Basestar and 6 raiders to save 2 population against 1 morale, when the 1 morale choice may very well ending up losing the 2 population (or more) anyway, and damage Galactica in the very first crisis too boot. Nopt to mention that, like you said, we can expect another 8-10 more emergencies before we get a chance to jump - much better to harbor our resources since we don't know what is coming.

Your objections have been noted, Commander Thrace. Please focus on the current mission at hand.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 09:43:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 25, 2009, 09:42:15 AM
So why isn't garbon taking his turn yet?
How far can our Vipers move by the way? Seem unfortunate that they are all on one side of the fleet, while the things for them to shoot are on the other.
Vipers can move in the player's move phase, and then either move again or shoot in the action phase.  So, two spaces per turn (unless the pilot is really, really good, Mr President... er, Admiral, in which case he/she can move three spaces without fighting, or two and then fighting, or one and then fighting twice).

And the bogies are coming towards us, so I can easily intercept them short of the transports if the Pres gives me the order to do so, especially if Tigh moves the transports.

Bayraktar!

Tamas

I have sent garbon his card draw.

Now he needs to move or stay in place, then perform an action as per the rules.

Berkut

OOC: This game is begging for an online version to hood gamestate and such. That would be awesome.

0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 09:43:46 AMHow far can our Vipers move by the way? Seem unfortunate that they are all on one side of the fleet, while the things for them to shoot are on the other.

Don't look at me. Shouldn't the Admiral know these things anyway? :P