[board] The Battlestar Galactica Languish Project

Started by Tamas, June 18, 2009, 09:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2009, 03:08:38 AM
The other was a massive Cylon fleet attack which of course would not have progressed the jump counter, but also would have presented a lot of new problems to burn cards on, not to mention to simply forcing him to discard 3 cards. So despite this unlucky end result (both Destiny cards were against the check), he made the right choice.

Really that crisis strikes me as quite imbalanced. Depending on one's point of view it is nearly or just as bad as the Massive Assault supercrisis.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DisturbedPervert

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2009, 11:59:50 AM
The Cylons - did you guys feel like there was enough to do once you were revealed?
As the revealed Cylon who is a human (and I'm still not sure how that was supposed to work in canon), I didn't have much to do.  I didn't have a supercrisis card, couldn't go to the Cylon fleet, and could only take one action once on the resurrection ship.  My chice were to go to the human fleet and try something, or choose between two crises to enact.  The latter was clearly the only realistic option at the endgame, so that is where I was stuck once I'd given my loyalty card away.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: JacobL on August 19, 2009, 07:16:41 AM
Batch of useless low value pilot cards <_<   FIVE red cards and NONE were 3 value or higher <_<
I had five cards of verious types and none were over 2!  :lol:

I finally got a 5 card in the last draw, and it was a politics card (the most useless one for derailing crises).  Never got to play it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Thank you all for the game! Now I need my gaming table for other stuff, so won't expect a second one for a month or two. I might gather the willpower to cyberboardize it, then we can play sooner, or better yet, someone else could GM and I could actually play. I will seek info and interest on the subject at the boardgamegeek I think.
Thanks for running this, Tamas.   :hug:

I will be getting a scanner soon, so may be able to run a game of this.  You deserve to play.

Bayraktar!

Delirium

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2009, 11:59:50 AM
Interesting game, though I'm not quite sure how much I liked it.

Clearly the secret cylon dynamic was exciting.  Those first few turns were quite interesting, always wondering who was on what side.  On the other side the game lost some of its flavour near the end when the sides were all known.

I think it would play better FTF.  On almost every single crisis we needed to have several rounds of conversation to co-ordinate our card play.  That always dragged things out in online play.

Its a very random game.  As a human there was no opportunity for long-term strategy - we were always putting out fires.  Thats good (the game was never over until it was over) and bad.

The Cylons - did you guys feel like there was enough to do once you were revealed?

We just played it ftf over here, four players, and I echo your sentiments. Took some time to get the game rolling and got bogged down in debates some, but was great fun in times of high-octane action. On the negative side was me being forced to reveal myself as Sympathizer and left with not much to do, just as grumbler here, didn't like the lack of choice when to reveal oneself, as the regular Cylons have. That strikes me as a poor feature of the game. Other than that, it's fine.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: grumbler on August 19, 2009, 01:13:30 PM
Thank you all for the game! Now I need my gaming table for other stuff, so won't expect a second one for a month or two. I might gather the willpower to cyberboardize it, then we can play sooner, or better yet, someone else could GM and I could actually play. I will seek info and interest on the subject at the boardgamegeek I think.
Thanks for running this, Tamas.   :hug:

I will be getting a scanner soon, so may be able to run a game of this.  You deserve to play.

Great job Tamas, I really enjoyed following this game.  :cheers:

callmeclemens

Does anyone else find that despite his rating in the game, Aaron Rodgers kind of sucks?

sbr

Quote from: callmeclemens on August 23, 2009, 04:11:18 PM
Does anyone else find that despite his rating in the game, Aaron Rodgers kind of sucks?

Wrong thread?

garbon

I just played this again last night with friends here in SF. Fucked myself over because as Admiral Tigh, I had gotten us to 6 of 8 on the move track with the ship basically full in tact (as well as our resources) when I became a sleeper agent. Not remembering what the Cylon locations did (and not being able to appear interested after sleeper agent phase), I waited too long to reveal myself.  Team had just gotten fuel into red, so though Sharon was a sympathizer, she stayed human.  I lost when they were able to coordinate using FTL to jump early with a sacrifice of the still abundant populace.

Then I went online today and I saw that there are now 3 expansions available. One just came out this summer. Looks like (and what happens with modding of games like Skyrim), you would need to navigate which variants you'd opt in for out of each expansion if you played with them all.  I do like the idea though of each person being able to have their own personal victory goals as the cylon sympathizer mechanic is really a weak balancer.

I'm going to make my cousins/sister play this at Christmas to replace our yearly Risk game that has gotten stale. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Looks like this is available with Pegasus & Exodus bits for Vassal.