News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far right are you?

Started by Josquius, March 14, 2015, 03:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1 to 10, how far right would you place yourself?

4 (7.1%)
4 (7.1%)
9 (16.1%)
8 (14.3%)
8 (14.3%)
7 (12.5%)
9 (16.1%)
3 (5.4%)
1 (1.8%)
3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2015, 06:26:21 PM
I'm slightly disgusted I'm so libertarian :Embarrass:

And I'm disappointed in you, too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on March 23, 2015, 06:50:20 PM

I'd expect nothing less :lol:

I think they mistake authoritarian for Christian Right :x
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on March 23, 2015, 06:25:23 PM
Beaten, I think.  :P

Well, you passed me for the lowest y-score that's been posted yet.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2015, 06:52:47 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 23, 2015, 06:50:20 PM

I'd expect nothing less :lol:

I think they mistake authoritarian for Christian Right :x

Indeed.  Like I said, it's basically broken.  We're both more or less totalitarian. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2015, 05:53:31 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 20, 2015, 02:51:37 AM
On a policy level, I think it's a mistake, since we want people to get comfortable with the idea of not working and ultimately transition to living off the basic income to the normative state in the face of automation and a reduced demand for labor.

I think I see where you may be going awry.

The "demand for labor" is not some immutable fact of the universe, following deterministically from a set of technological capabilities.  It is a social phenomenon, influenced by the structure of productive relations and culture as well as technology (and the business cycle of course).  In the world of Keynes' Economic Possibilities for our Grandchildren, it is presumed there will (or should) exist a dominant preference for a certain kind of cultured leisure, such that technological improvements in productivity will tend to increase leisure per head and constrain market labor demand.  That future is one where people are content to have their consumption rise more slowly then the rate of productivity growth, and take the excess as leisure.

This is arguably an attractive vision, more attractive then our reality, but it is more normative than descriptive.  People seem rather stubbornly to prefer increasing their consumption -- even if it is apparently frivolous or self-defeating like chasing ever more dear positional and prestige goods -- rather then their leisure.  But there is no reason it absolutely HAS to be that way - we could have a future whereby people maintain standards of living greatly exceeding historical norms and yet enjoy much more leisure time.  And it could be argued that outcome should be supported socially and politically.   But that is different from claiming that it actually WILL happen, much less that it inevitably MUST happen.

I certainly understand what you're saying.  In fact, I think that preferring leisure to consumption sets me apart from most people.  I've posted here before that as long as I have enough income to provide us with the necessities of modern life (which, let's face it, in American pretty much includes an automobile) plus enough to fund my internet, gaming, and reading habits, I'm pretty well satisfied. 

I don't have a salaried job anymore;   I work for an hourly wage.  And frankly, I doubt that I'll ever seek a salaried position again.  I'd rather make what I make working 40 hours a week than make twice as much but have to work twice as many hours.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on March 23, 2015, 08:11:15 PM
I don't have a salaried job anymore;   I work for an hourly wage.  And frankly, I doubt that I'll ever seek a salaried position again.  I'd rather make what I make working 40 hours a week than make twice as much but have to work twice as many hours.

That sounds like a no-brainer. The question is, would you work twice as many hours for 3 or 4 times as much pay?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2015, 04:12:48 PM
My new definition of moderate is someone who doesn't get spazzed out inordinately.

:(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Yeah you definitely would have put me under house arrest and stopped me from fleeing to Normandy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 08:20:04 PM

I'm serious.  The one constant at the political extremes is the amount of outrage.  See if you can think of anyone it doesn't work for.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2015, 08:21:30 PM

I'm serious.  The one constant at the political extremes is the amount of outrage.  See if you can think of anyone it doesn't work for.

I actually agree with that. I was just sad I failed to fit that definition recently :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 08:22:35 PM
I actually agree with that. I was just sad I failed to fit that definition recently :P

You can choose the person you wish to be.  :pope:

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2015, 08:14:55 PM
Quote from: dps on March 23, 2015, 08:11:15 PM

That sounds like a no-brainer. The question is, would you work twice as many hours for 3 or 4 times as much pay?

No, I don't think I'd work twice as many hours for any amount of pay.

Depending on the circumstances, I might be willing to work 50 hours a week for twice as much pay, but 50-55 hours is about my limit now, I think.  Much more than that, and you don't have time to enjoy the things your increased income can buy, so what's the point?  And another problem with a salaried position is that even if you're only supposed to work 45-50 hours, lots of time you end up working well beyond that.

In all the salaried jobs I've had, I was supposed to work about 48 hours a week.  In one of them, that was actually about what I normally worked.  In another, I probably averaged about 60 hours a week.  And in the others, I worked 80-90 hours most weeks.  It wasn't worth it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2015, 08:21:30 PM

I have seen people be outraged about pretty much everything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

That's bullshit and you know it, Raz :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2015, 08:28:57 AM
That's bullshit and you know it, Raz :angry:

I'm outraged that you said this. :angry:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius