News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How far right are you?

Started by Josquius, March 14, 2015, 03:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1 to 10, how far right would you place yourself?

4 (7.1%)
4 (7.1%)
9 (16.1%)
8 (14.3%)
8 (14.3%)
7 (12.5%)
9 (16.1%)
3 (5.4%)
1 (1.8%)
3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Grinning_Colossus

So it's basically a bell curve, except only one person was brave enough to be a boring 5.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 14, 2015, 06:32:12 PM
So it's basically a bell curve, except only one person was brave enough to be a boring 5.

6 is just as boring as five, seeing as how 5.5 is the midpoint of the scale.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

I'm trying to figure out a calibration...

1: Lenin, Castro
2: Chavez, Morales, Gorbachev
3. Kucinich
4. Obama
5. Clinton, Lieberman
6. Cameron
7. Bush
8. Ashcroft, Santorum
9. Franco
10. Hitler
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on March 14, 2015, 06:52:06 PM
I'm trying to figure out a calibration...

1: Lenin, Castro
2: Chavez, Morales, Gorbachev
3. Kucinich
4. Obama
5. Clinton, Lieberman
6. Cameron
7. Bush
8. Ashcroft, Santorum
9. Franco
10. Hitler

This is reasonable, if deeply debatable, up to 9 and 10.  Both Franco and Hitler pursued very statist economic policies.  And it's not as if someone who is center-right enjoys wars of conquest and exterminating race enemies, just not quite as much as Hitler did.

Of course, as someone already pointed out it's impossible for a linear scale to encompass all the variation in political opinions.

Grey Fox

I voted 3 because the title didn't match the actual question & scale but on the Languish scale I am a -20.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2015, 07:03:26 PM

This is reasonable, if deeply debatable, up to 9 and 10.  Both Franco and Hitler pursued very statist economic policies.  And it's not as if someone who is center-right enjoys wars of conquest and exterminating race enemies, just not quite as much as Hitler did.

Of course, as someone already pointed out it's impossible for a linear scale to encompass all the variation in political opinions.

As you mention it isn't so possible to put all political opinions on a linear scale. For example, what counts as far right? It could include a true believer in absolute monarchy and the divine right of kings, a white supremacist, or a hardcore economic libertarian. The three have almost nothing in common.

I think the 10 spot has to go to Hitler though. When you hear of "far right extremist groups", you know the discussion isn't about Milton Friedman disciples. I think most people understands that far right usually includes racism and extreme nationalism, while center right does not.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

But the question wasn't about how far right extremist you are. :contract:

And I sincerely doubt that Beeb or any other poster who responded 10 see themselves as Hitler.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2015, 07:22:19 PM
But the question wasn't about how far right extremist you are. :contract:

And I sincerely doubt that Beeb or any other poster who responded 10 see themselves as Hitler.

That is why I thought it would be good to calibrate a system.  :)

mongers

I voted 10, as I've never intentionally voted accurately in any Languish or online opinion poll, so this un-calibrated poll was perfect for me.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 14, 2015, 07:06:46 PM
I voted 3 because the title didn't match the actual question & scale but on the Languish scale I am a -20.

Quote from: derspiess9, but on the Languish scale I'm like 20.

Ah, Languish, a bastion for extremists of the opposite stripe as oneself.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2015, 07:22:19 PMAnd I sincerely doubt that Beeb or any other poster who responded 10 see themselves as Hitler.

Ed does.

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 14, 2015, 07:32:31 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 14, 2015, 07:06:46 PM

Quote from: derspiess9, but on the Languish scale I'm like 20.

Ah, Languish, a bastion for extremists of the opposite stripe as oneself.  :D

They pretty much cancel each other out, the residual is complaints about Argentinians steeling Canadian snow.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!