Is it okay to benefit from nepotism?

Yes
26 (68.4%)
No
12 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2015, 06:54:26 PM
No, of course not.  You will never have any cred with fellow-employees, and so never any real authority or respect.  Best to get a job, even at a lower level, that allows you to hold up your head and at least have a chance to earn some respect from co-workers.

And that is how Grumbler became a new man in Rome.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

It is not OK.  It would take a substantial amount of money to assuage my guilt at accepting a position won through nepotism.

garbon

No, of course not.  You will never have any cred with fellow-employees, and so never any real authority or respect.  Best to get a job, even at a lower level, that allows you to hold up your head and at least have a chance to earn some respect from co-workers.

Who cares what your fellow employees think? Hopefully it is just a stepping stone to something else anyway. You aren't there to make friends.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 07:06:49 PM
Yeah what if you are their one accountant or lawyer or whatever in their small business?

I'm not sure what you are asking.  If this is a family business, then the owners hiring family isn't nepotism at all, in my book.  It may be that we are just defining the concept differently. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2015, 08:00:56 PM

Who cares what your fellow employees think? Hopefully it is just a stepping stone to something else anyway. You aren't there to make friends.

As long as you don't intend to work in the field, it probably doesn't matter that your fellow-employees think you are a cunt.  If you want to work in a field, though, your cuntiness will count against you if any former fellow-workers are employees at a place where you are "stepping" to.  If your attitude is "who cares what my fellow-humans think of me," though, you've got bigger problems that likely will preclude you having any career success no matter how you got your current job, so the nepotism would be moot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2015, 06:49:28 PM
Depends if it's me or not. 

If me, yes.  If not me, vote amended accordingly.

Integrity: -3

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Larch

Life is hard enough as it is to go around passing on good opportunities.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2015, 08:20:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2015, 08:00:56 PM

As long as you don't intend to work in the field, it probably doesn't matter that your fellow-employees think you are a cunt.  If you want to work in a field, though, your cuntiness will count against you if any former fellow-workers are employees at a place where you are "stepping" to.  If your attitude is "who cares what my fellow-humans think of me," though, you've got bigger problems that likely will preclude you having any career success no matter how you got your current job, so the nepotism would be moot.

You are hardly a cunt because you used connections to get a job.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Grey Fox

No but that's a moral judgement. Fuck morals.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

What if your attitude is "I'm going to prove myself to my coworkers that I belong here!"?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2015, 08:41:30 PM

What if your attitude is "I'm going to prove myself to my coworkers that I belong here!"?

It's how you got there.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

You mean, like Veterans Preference Points?

11B4V

Monoriu

It is not ok for others to benefit from nepotism, but ok for me  :bowler: