'Corruption Of Blood' Bill Would Convict Family Of Iran Sanctions Violators

Started by jimmy olsen, March 13, 2015, 01:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2015, 08:02:32 AM
I could see some redneck saying that at the back of his pick up truck, but don't you find it worrying when a member of the Congress has no clue like that?

I might have a few decades ago but I am resigned to them saying things of colossal ignorance now. I used to even think they knew better and were just playing to some nutty demographic as well. But I think there was always a few remarkably stupid individuals in Congress, just now we hear about it every time they say something embarrassing because of the internet. Before it probably never got out.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2015, 08:02:32 AM
I could see some redneck saying that at the back of his pick up truck, but don't you find it worrying when a member of the Congress has no clue like that?

Not a qualifier for elected office.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2015, 07:59:50 AM
No, what I mean the statements that the US Constitution (when it is talking for example about stuff like the Fourths or the Fifth Amendment) does not apply to non-citizens. It quite clearly does, in plain English.

Hell, even the Second Amendment is more dodgy as it talks about the "right of the people", so you could argue it does not endow rights on individuals - but the Fifth Amendment quite clearly talks about persons.

The Constitution does not endow rights except, arguably, the right to vote.  I limits the power of the federal government (and more recently state governments) to infringe upon pre-existing rights.  This is a concept not well understood by foreigners and ignorant US Senators and former Texas governors.

The Shrubbery tried this same "the US Constitution does not apply where we find its application inconvenient" ruse, and got its tiny peepee whacked by the USSC for its pains.  Admittedly, Cotton doesn't seem bright enough to learn from the mistakes of others.  Still, trying to show himself dumb as a Shrub doesn't seem like the best way to stand out from the crowd; the US already did the Shrubbery.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2015, 07:59:50 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 07:57:22 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2015, 07:53:13 AM
I'm often perplexed by such statements from some Americans. It's remarkably fucked up one would even entertain such a notion.

This is the first time I have ever heard somebody demanding we punish completely innocent people for simple being related to a criminal.  That is pretty out there.

No, what I mean the statements that the US Constitution (when it is talking for example about stuff like the Fourths or the Fifth Amendment) does not apply to non-citizens. It quite clearly does, in plain English.

Yeah but it still requires a 7th or 8th grade reading level to really understand; that knocks out about a quarter of the US senate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

What a fruity law this attempt is. To punish the family members of someone committing a sanctions violation? I hope that somewhere in the amendment is the legal stipulation that they need to be found guilty of the violation, same as the prime violator, but I don't think that's in there. This is just wacky. Doesn't this guy have any advisers and legal aides to run this stuff past before putting it out there??

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2015, 08:43:39 AM
Still, trying to show himself dumb as a Shrub doesn't seem like the best way to stand out from the crowd; the US already did the Shrubbery.

Agreed, I mean this story doesn't seem to have crossed any (or at least most) of our radars when it happened 2 years ago. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2015, 09:00:35 AM
Agreed, I mean this story doesn't seem to have crossed any (or at least most) of our radars when it happened 2 years ago. :D

Oh FFS Tim you posted an article from 2013?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2015, 08:43:39 AM
This is a concept not well understood by foreigners and ignorant US Senators and former Texas governors.

:lol:

You know, this whole GOP Congress kind of makes me pine for the days of the Iran-Contra/Anita Hill Era of the mid-'80s to the early '90s, when there was nothing but constant bleating from the right over "the Imperial Congress", and how it did nothing but get in the way of the Executive Branch, Ronald Reagan and, more importantly, History.

I can't find the magazine cover of (I think) The American Spectator, of the Iran-Contra Committee--in Roman togas--looking down upon Oliver North and passing judgement over the Right Hand of Reagan, but it is totally priceless.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 09:02:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2015, 09:00:35 AM

Yeah, I realized my first post didn't really call attention to how old it was. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2015, 09:21:46 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 09:02:16 AM

Yeah, I realized my first post didn't really call attention to how old it was. :D

Thanks for trying.  Dunno when i will learn to ignore Timmay posts (I mean, I saw it was from HuffPo so was tempted to blow it off, but thought that even HuffPo couldn't get the story wrong enough to invalidate a simple point). 

So, I guess i can't allow this story to change my opinion that Cotton is a moron.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!