And we're back!

Main Menu

Should there be a standing EU army?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 11, 2015, 09:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be a standing EU army?

Yes
14 (56%)
Yes with qualifications (only is the UK gets to leave first, etc...)
3 (12%)
No
7 (28%)
Other???
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

jimmy olsen

It won't happen, but what do you guys think, should it happen?

EDIT: That second option should say "only if" not only is. <_<
http://www.todayonline.com/world/juncker-calls-eu-army-says-would-deter-russia

QuoteJuncker calls for EU army, says would deter Russia

Published: 10:33 PM, March 8, 2015

BERLIN - The European Union needs its own army to face up to Russia and other threats as well as restore the bloc's foreign policy standing around the world, EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker told a German newspaper on Sunday.

Arguing that NATO was not enough because not all members of the transatlantic defense alliance are in the EU, Juncker said a common EU army would also send important signals to the world.

"A joint EU army would show the world that there would never again be a war between EU countries," Juncker told the Welt am Sonntag newspaper. "Such an army would also help us to form common foreign and security policies and allow Europe to take on responsibility in the world."

Juncker said a common EU army could serve as a deterrent and would have been useful during the Ukraine crisis.

"With its own army, Europe could react more credibly to the threat to peace in a member state or in a neighboring state.

"One wouldn't have a European army to deploy it immediately. But a common European army would convey a clear message to Russia that we are serious about defending our European values."

The 28-nation EU already has battle groups that are manned on a rotational basis and meant to be available as a rapid reaction force. But they have never been used in a crisis.

EU leaders have said they want to boost the common security policy by improving rapid response capabilities.

But Britain, along with France one of the two main military powers in the bloc, has been wary of giving a bigger military role to the EU, fearing it could undermine NATO.

German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen welcomed Juncker's proposal: "Our future as Europeans will at some point be with a European army," she told German radio. REUTERS
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Berkut

Quote from: Monoriu on March 11, 2015, 09:04:11 PM
What is NATO for then?

That question doesn't really make any sense. NATO is a military alliance, the EU is a political construct.

The better question is how a standing EU army would fit into NATO insofar as NATO member nations would presumably fund/man such an army in preference to their own, but since the EU is a not a NATO member, how would NATO members meet their NATO obligations if they were part of a EU army instead?

Of course, almost none of them meet their NATO obligations anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Yes.  If all those tiny budgets are pooled to fund one military maybe they might amount to something.  Heck maybe there would be a 2% of EU GNP requirement.

But this would also require a unified foreign policy and LOL at that ever happening.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

If I were a small EU country, my question would be, why should I spend 2% GDP on this?  It makes no real difference.  A better alternative is to free ride.  Let the Americans and French and British spend their 2% GDP.  I keep my 2% for lower taxes or welfare.  Ok, I keep 1.8% and spend 0.2% just so I can say I also contributed. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on March 11, 2015, 09:38:18 PM
If I were a small EU country, my question would be, why should I spend 2% GDP on this?  It makes no real difference.  A better alternative is to free ride.  Let the Americans and French and British spend their 2% GDP.  I keep my 2% for lower taxes or welfare.  Ok, I keep 1.8% and spend 0.2% just so I can say I also contributed.
Current budget $192.535 Billion. 1,551,038 active duty personel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_European_Union#Expenditure_and_personnel
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 11, 2015, 09:44:17 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 11, 2015, 09:38:18 PM
Current budget $192.535 Billion. 1,551,038 active duty personel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_European_Union#Expenditure_and_personnel

Greece keeps 1,622 main battle tanks and 2,187 armoured fighting vehicles to fight against their budget deficits and creditors.  Who said they did everything they could to cut expenditure  :lol:

viper37

Yes there should be a standing European army, part of NATO, if possible, but it won't happen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

citizen k

"An EU Army to face Russia? Who do you think you're kidding, Mr Juncker? - Nigel Farage "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiUtdZyL_Mk

citizen k

Quote from: Monoriu on March 11, 2015, 09:50:25 PM
Greece keeps 1,622 main battle tanks and 2,187 armoured fighting vehicles ...

That's to not be too humiliated by Turkey.

Martinus

Quote from: citizen k on March 11, 2015, 10:47:07 PM
"An EU Army to face Russia? Who do you think you're kidding, Mr Juncker? - Nigel Farage "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiUtdZyL_Mk

With lines like this, you'd think UKIP was on Russian pay. Oh wait.

Ideologue

There's already an armed force to face Russia.  It's called STRATCOM.  P.S.: Europe owes us about one trillion dollars, but you can pay us in virgins.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on March 12, 2015, 01:32:29 AM
There's already an armed force to face Russia.  It's called STRATCOM.  P.S.: Europe owes us about one trillion dollars, but you can pay us in virgins.

Given that the average age of consent in Europe is 15, what would you do with our 12 year olds and a bunch of IT technicians?  :hmm:

Ideologue

Raise them till they were 18, then go nuts.  This isn't rocket science.

Foreign STEM workers are the cancer of the American middle class.  You can keep Tamas.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Now answer my law question in the movies thread.  You're probably as qualified to answer as anybody here, save possibly Joan.
Kinemalogue