News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Are American Jews Traumatized?

Started by Siege, March 09, 2015, 12:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on March 09, 2015, 01:42:46 PM
Yeah, it does seem that when Israel defends itself it's portrayed as the bad guy.  Hezbollah, a radical group sponsored by Iran, was lobbing missiles into Israel. Can't blame Israel for taking action there. But they couldn't do much to Hezbollah, which has become probably a stronger military force than the government military, courtesy of Iran. Then recently last year Hamas was lobbing thousands of missiles into Israel! Thousands! And Iran has certainly resupplied their allies with even more missiles.

Look lobbing a few thousand missiles at somebody does not mean you deserve a full-scale genocide in response.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2015, 01:44:44 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 09, 2015, 01:42:46 PM
Yeah, it does seem that when Israel defends itself it's portrayed as the bad guy.  Hezbollah, a radical group sponsored by Iran, was lobbing missiles into Israel. Can't blame Israel for taking action there. But they couldn't do much to Hezbollah, which has become probably a stronger military force than the government military, courtesy of Iran. Then recently last year Hamas was lobbing thousands of missiles into Israel! Thousands! And Iran has certainly resupplied their allies with even more missiles.

Look lobbing a few thousand missiles at somebody does not mean you deserve a full-scale genocide in response.

I don't see where Israel has ever done a genocide. They may have gone too far and I'm not excusing that. Their opponents certainly would and happily do so if they could. Plus with all the ways Israel's attackers have staged things, human shields, putting kids near missile launchers, or staging deaths, they play the game well with the media, but everyone should be seeing through those antics.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on March 09, 2015, 01:50:38 PM
I don't see where Israel has ever done a genocide. They may have gone too far and I'm not excusing that. Their opponents certainly would and happily do so if they could. Plus with all the ways Israel's attackers have staged things, human shields, putting kids near missile launchers, or staging deaths, they play the game well with the media, but everyone should be seeing through those antics.

Of course they haven't.  But Gaza gets casually mentioned as a genocide to go along with whatever ISIS is doing.  It is pretty amazing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Never figured a gruff guy like Siege to go for all this soft pop psychology stuff.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2015, 01:03:44 PM
Didn't used to be that way;  back in the day, when Israel was the punky upstart trying to survive in a jungle surrounded by predators and pulling off balls-out feats like Entebbe, it was the darling of the conventional European Left, despite being filled with Jews. 
But since '82, when the invasion of Lebanon officially made Israel the Big Meanietm, it's been the other way around.

I believe it started in '67.  At least that's when France stopped selling arms.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 09, 2015, 02:54:00 PM
Never figured a gruff guy like Siege to go for all this soft pop psychology stuff.

Eh, Siege is a teddy bear at heart.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Are you raising your kids as jews?
Do you hide your jewishness when you can?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2015, 02:57:32 PM
I believe it started in '67.  At least that's when France stopped selling arms.

For France the roots were even earlier, in the wake of the withdrawal from Algeria, when De Gaulle sought to "rebalance" relationships with the Arab world.   Prior to that French-Israeli relations were very, very tight.

Too bad as the IAF was a pretty damn good advertisement for the capability of French aircraft.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on March 09, 2015, 03:04:56 PM

Joan always pees in a stall.

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 09, 2015, 02:58:13 PM

Eh, Siege is a teddy bear at heart.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on March 09, 2015, 03:04:56 PM

Are you raising your kids as jews?

Yes
No

But I live in the NY metro area so it is easy.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Wow Minsky does not usually get so personal.

crazy canuck

I have learned more about Minsky's personal life in the last few minutes than I knew about his personal life in all the years I have been on Languish.

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2015, 03:07:19 PM

Tell me about it.
I have been for YEARS trying to get under his skin.
I have called him every offensive word I know, to no avail.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2015, 03:07:19 PM

I didn't even know he had children.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?