20 Best Wargames of All Time

Started by Syt, March 06, 2015, 07:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I don't see--

--anywhere.

This list is clickfail.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Rather: folks who refuse to expand their horizons, examine something new, and question their deeply held beliefs. I.e. Languish Syndrome.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 06, 2015, 10:18:16 AM
Rather: folks who refuse to expand their horizons, examine something new, and question their deeply held beliefs. I.e. Languish Syndrome.

Can't have "classic" without the Classical Age. 

Berkut

How can this possibly NOT have TOAW?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on March 06, 2015, 10:26:06 AM
How can this possibly NOT have TOAW?
Yeah, that's another huge omission.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Drakken

Any "wargame classic" list that doesn't include Gary Grisby or John Tiller deserves a F--

crazy canuck

Habbaku

A lot of those aren't even wargames.   :wacko:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on March 06, 2015, 03:56:27 PM
A lot of those aren't even wargames.   :wacko:

Yeah Sims might take place during a war but not really the same thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tamas on March 06, 2015, 07:58:45 AM
No, I have not met him. :)

Syt, was that 1996 pack with Age of Rifles in it? I think I had it. :wub:

Age of Rifles was not in 20 Wargame Classics (which was also my first-ever computer game purchase).  As Syt already mentioned, it had WCS 2: Tanks.  I believe that was the bundle that included Conflict: Middle East, the Arab-Israeli wargame I played the shit out of.

Syt

Here's the box:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/twenty-wargame-classics

QuoteA collection of wargames mainly from the late eighties and early nineties. Included games are:

From Impressions: D-Day: The Beginning of the End, Conquest of Japan, Global Domination, When Two Worlds War.

From Strategic Studies Group (SSG): Decisive Battles of the American Civil War Volumes I, II & III, Gold of the Americas, Reach for the Stars, Warlords, Battlefront (Panzer Battles, Rommel, Halls of Montezuma, MacArthur's War)

From Strategic Simulations, Inc. (SSI): Battles of Napoleon, Carrier Strike, Western Front: The Liberation of Europe 1944-1945, Sword of Aragon, Gary Grigsby's Pacific War, Gary Grigsby's War in Russia, Wargame Construction Set II: Tanks!, Clash of Steel, Conflict: Middle East, Conflict: Korea, Great Naval Battles 3: Fury in the Pacific.

The original US release includes Panzer General (DOS) instead of Great Naval Battles 3.

I remember I played mostly Battles of Napoleon (because I had had the game on C64), Gold of the Americas, WCS2:Tanks. Many of the others were severely dated even then. I got much more mileage out of games like Steel Panthers I and II, TOAW, and East Front II, though. Until Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin came out.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

heh I have that box... Panzer General... sweet

Syt

Panzer General wasn't included in Germany, because it was on the index for Mature-only games, for glorification of war and the campaigns of the Third Reich. :(

(TOAW didn't have the problem and even included swastika flags and SS runes which are not permitted in games in Germany to this date - see the recent Wolfenstein release ... probably because it was very niche.)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Which is funny because I distinctly remember when I got on a bus in Germany somebody has scrawled the SS runes on every single seat.  Those crazy Germany kids!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."