News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Questions to US lawtalkers

Started by Martinus, March 11, 2015, 07:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Neat, I contributed something to a law thread!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: dps on March 11, 2015, 05:35:54 PM
AFAIK, in every jurisdiction in the country, the court has to sign off on a plea bargain, and can reject the agreed on deal.  That's what happened in the Roman Polanski case--the prosecutor agreed to a deal that meant IIRC that Polanski wouldn't be sent to prison at all, and the judge said that was far too light for a rape case.

Not quite.  The court agreed to have Polanski held for psychiatric evaluation, and then, when that period was over, threatened to send Polanski off to jail since he had plead guilty under extenuating circumstances.  Polanski bolted, and since has argued that his plea bargain included a guarantee he wouldn't be deported.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!