News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Can you pass an 8th grade exam from 1912?

Started by Syt, March 02, 2015, 02:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on March 02, 2015, 10:40:20 AM
Question 7 in Government - did they make pupils memorize the EVs of each state? Wow.

Back in the day, good citizenship wasn't just an expectation, it was a requirement.  Things have been...watered down a bit since then.

crazy canuck

It is interesting to note how peaceful the world would have seemed in 1912.  The war of 1812 has some prominence on the test although 100 years in the past (because of the 100 year anniversary?).  The Balkan wars are just getting started.

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on March 02, 2015, 10:40:20 AM

Question 7 in Government - did they make pupils memorize the EVs of each state? Wow.

No, they phrased the question oddly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

Some of those questions are really easy. "Tell what you know of the gulf stream"--apparently you don't need to know anything in particular.

However, I wasn't aware private business aviation companies were forming by 1912. Perhaps conclusive evidence this is a forgery?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2015, 07:59:41 AM
Who discovered the Pacific?  Some Chinese guy who looked out of his window.

Did they have a flag?  No flag no discovery.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2015, 10:34:21 AMThere are many questions that aren't rote memorization for instance "what are the causes of the war of 1812" or "why do we study physiology".
Those are actually bad examples, since those would be answered by rote memorization.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2015, 11:41:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2015, 11:37:50 AM
No, they phrased the question oddly.

How did you interpret the question?

"How are the electoral college votes distributed?"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2015, 11:41:43 AM
How did you interpret the question?

The answer is presumably "one per senator plus one per representative."  It's not asking you to name all the states and the EV each has.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on March 02, 2015, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2015, 10:34:21 AMThere are many questions that aren't rote memorization for instance "what are the causes of the war of 1812" or "why do we study physiology".
Those are actually bad examples, since those would be answered by rote memorization.

Or by mind reading.  Yeah, this is an example of a badly-written test. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 02, 2015, 12:34:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2015, 07:59:41 AM
Who discovered the Pacific?  Some Chinese guy who looked out of his window.

Did they have a flag?  No flag no discovery.

I think China had a flag.

Razgovory

I feel sorry for the kid who spelled "endeavor", correctly.