And we're back!

Main Menu

Games you would like to see *remastered*

Started by Martinus, February 02, 2015, 06:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on February 25, 2015, 10:47:48 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on February 25, 2015, 10:45:39 AM
It was mostly the brain-dead AI, lack of queues and a couple other things. Easily solvable within a remastered edition.

Ascendancy would be my answer to the OP as well.

By the original post, remastering is considered:

QuoteJust to be clear - this is not asking for a full blown remake, just a pure graphic and sound "facelift".

If there's more that is allowed to be done then I agree.

i agree with both of you, and think it would take more than a facelift - but so would a good remake of Arcanum, where the grinding and inventory management were not up to snuff.

When I think of "remastering" I think that the essence (story, feel.. "ambiance," if you will) remains the same, but everything else gets modernized, including AI.  You clearly mean it in a more limited sense, but that's okay.  The OP really agrees with you, but I'd not want a Fallout, for example, with just better graphics and sound.  I'd want a "remastering" to be on the scale of X-COM.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

Yep. I don't think it makes sense to remaster just graphics and sound. Things like physics, AI or UI that were also constrained by hardware or lack of code base have improved over time and should be part of any updated gem.

Of course it makes any remake harder, because you're taking decisions instead of just upgrading the quality of assets. A task for which you already have things like concept art or raw sound files. But it also makes it really worth it.

KRonn

Quote from: Zanza on February 23, 2015, 03:48:24 PM
Jagged Alliance II
Tie Fighter
Theme Park/Theme Hospital
Transport Tycoon
Ascendancy

:hmm:

Transport Tycoon I really liked; would like to see that re-done and updated.

Bluebook

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on February 25, 2015, 10:45:39 AM
It was mostly the brain-dead AI, lack of queues and a couple other things. Easily solvable within a remastered edition.

Ascendancy would be my answer to the OP as well.

There's an IOS remake from a few years ago. I can't vouch for how good or shit it is, since I'm not an Apple person.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on February 27, 2015, 10:38:26 AM
Quote from: Zanza on February 23, 2015, 03:48:24 PM
Jagged Alliance II
Tie Fighter
Theme Park/Theme Hospital
Transport Tycoon
Ascendancy

:hmm:

Transport Tycoon I really liked; would like to see that re-done and updated.

Kronn, have you tried this:

http://www.openttd.org/en/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on March 01, 2015, 09:49:52 PM
:worship: Thank you for the tip. I'll be AWOL for a month or so now. :P

Like you show up more than once a month already.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?