So long, transistor: How the 'memristor' could revolutionize electronics

Started by jimmy olsen, March 01, 2015, 09:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Francorum

Indeed. When the CD-ROM was created, it was thought the it would support data for a very long time but it is not that durable. I think it is a perennial problem in archives/records management. Supports are to continually evolve.
To rent

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on March 01, 2015, 09:37:42 PM
My biggest concern is, will Microsoft Windows run on the new machines?  In other words, are all the existing programmes obsolete? 
Linux is a nice OS for servers, and for any place where end users don't need to interact with it directly.  In as much as desktop replacement, you have nothing to fear.

By the time these memristor make it to consumer level devices like computer and smartphones, Windows and other OS will have adapted.  No one would release a new piece of hardware in a PC that can't work with any OS, especially the one that has 90% of users.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Rex Francorum on March 02, 2015, 11:42:34 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 01, 2015, 09:37:42 PM
My biggest concern is, will Microsoft Windows run on the new machines?  In other words, are all the existing programmes obsolete?

And from my records/archives management point of view, I wonder about the ability to keep data from the transistor era computers and to be able to read it with that new technology. Well, that's the challenge when any new technology appears and replaces older one.
usually, such info is transferred to the new medias.  Records from the Assemblée Nationale were digitized, from their paper, a while ago.  Many companies that had documents in Word Perfect 5.1 probably ported them over to Word at some point or another.

You guys worry too much for now.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

I would laugh so hard if all the francophone information and records were lost.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: Siege on March 02, 2015, 01:56:53 PM
I would laugh so hard if all the francophone information and records were lost.
Could happen, you never know, God Wrath against the Chosen People and such, there could be collateral victims.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2015, 01:46:44 PM
usually, such info is transferred to the new medias.  Records from the Assemblée Nationale were digitized, from their paper, a while ago.  Many companies that had documents in Word Perfect 5.1 probably ported them over to Word at some point or another.

You guys worry too much for now.

I wouldn't say "usually".  That requires a well-designed and well-run data management system.  My experience with such systems is that even the best of them miss decent chunks of data, and "the best" are pretty unusual.