News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paging Mono: visiting Hong Kong

Started by Tamas, February 24, 2015, 07:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

So my sister and her fiance is going to Hong Kong because they can get to Asia fairly cheaply and... well I don't know any other reasons, frankly. :D

So, what is nice to visit there, and more importantly which are the decent neighbourshoods to stay in for a week or so?

Thank you!

Monoriu

A week is far too long to spend in Hong Kong.  They'll be bored by the fourth day at most.  Most overseas tourists stay for 2-3 days then move on to other Chinese cities.  I think it will be best for tourists to stick to the urban areas instead of the new towns in the New Territories.  Anywhere near the underground train stations in Kowloon or Hong Kong island should be good.  If you absolutely want a name, Tsim Sha Tsui is one of our most popular tourist districts.

If they want religous stuff, the Giant Buddha and the Nan Lian Garden are popular.  Harbour City is our largest mall.  Lots of tourists visit the traditional wet markets, and we have dozens of those.  If they like theme parks, we have a small Disneyland and our Ocean Park is also popular.  Actually one of our most popular tourist things is hiking, as we have nice combinations of hills, seas, and cities that are close to each other.  We have nice rocks or a geopark in the eastern parts.  The Peak (a lookout) is a must see for the best view of the harbour.  For a harbour cruise, the simplest and cheapest way is to take the Star Ferry.  Costs like US$0.3 per person.  I can go on and on but is there anything specific that they like?

Restaurants - anything in particular that they like?  A standard answer for tourists is Luk Yu Tea House for a thematic dim sum place.  For the absolute best in Cantonese food, if cost is not an issue, Lung King Heen in four seasons hotel is our 3-star Michelin Chinese restaurant.  I always take the wife there for her birthday, and if you want to go there, the time to book a table is now. 

I will be happy to answer any additional questions  :)

Eddie Teach

I'd like to see the Tai-Pan's house.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Zanza

A day trip to Macau is nice. You can leave from HK island or Kowloon and ships run extremely frequently (like every 15 minutes or so).

I liked the Giant Buddha and the cable car that goes there, the night market, and Victoria Peak.

My favorite restaurant was Din Tai Fung, a chain from Taiwan.

Zanza

Going to mainland China may not be an option as you need a visa while you can just enter HK and Macau, Mono.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on February 24, 2015, 11:24:16 AM
A day trip to Macau is nice. You can leave from HK island or Kowloon and ships run extremely frequently (like every 15 minutes or so).

I liked the Giant Buddha and the cable car that goes there, the night market, and Victoria Peak.

My favorite restaurant was Din Tai Fung, a chain from Taiwan.

Din Tai Fung is one of my favourites as well :mmm:

Monoriu

Quote from: Tamas on February 24, 2015, 10:22:17 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 24, 2015, 10:10:41 AM
I'd like to see the Tai-Pan's house.  :)

Is there actually such a place? :o

Don't think so. :lol:  I don't even think the Keswicks, the family that controls Jardine's, live in HK anymore.  Jardine's is still one of the largest employers in HK, however.

The richest man in HK, Li Ka Shing, does live in a house and some people do like to go there to have a look at the walled compound and the dozens of security guards who will make sure that the wall is the only thing you'll see :contract: