News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Peter Oborne leaves the Telegraph

Started by Sheilbh, February 17, 2015, 03:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

In Sweden everybody knows that you can't go to the newspapers for news about certain areas, like immigration. Plenty of alternatives around that people use.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on February 18, 2015, 12:43:52 PM
Denial, rebuttal, explanation, character assassination, apology. Lots of options open.

Ignoring the story makes one assume that it must be correct in every particular - a point that will be rammed home by other parts of the media.
Especially when the Telegraph follows up with stories like this:

Christ :bleeding: :x
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Denial, rebuttal, explanation, character assassination, apology. Lots of options open.

Ignoring the story makes one assume that it must be correct in every particular - a point that will be rammed home by other parts of the media.

I'm confused. Isn't it better for the public if the truth is made plain? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2015, 05:17:35 PM

I'm confused. Isn't it better for the public if the truth is made plain? :unsure:

Presumably Gups is talking about the Telegraph's management, and thus looking at it from their perspective?

garbon

Why would that be a perspective that he would be interested in exploring/supporting?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

In a broader sense, I have no explanation, other than inertia and agent-principal conflict on the part of media houses, why the whole click culture continues unabated.

Everybody knows it's a sham - news sites are setting up multi-page "click holes" to increase the number of clicks; advertisers are fully aware of this yet are perfectly willing to pay for this; the result is the decreasing quality of online media, while the advertising power of such outlets is questionable at best in the first place.

It baffles me.