Should illegal immigrants who came to your country as kids be deported?

Started by Martinus, June 17, 2009, 01:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I just heard a story on the radio about a Mexican guy who apparently came illegally to the US when he was 1 (with his parents) and got deported when he was 19. What do you think about situations like that?

Valmy

I personally think we need to reform immigration to make it easier to come in legally from Mexico.

But I do think illegal immigrants, when found, should be deported.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Yes, they should.  But IMO we should make legal immigration much, much easier.  I'm in favor of nearly-open borders, personally.  Until that changes though, existing laws ought to be enforced.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2009, 01:28:20 PM
I personally think we need to reform immigration to make it easier to come in legally from Mexico.

:hug: Brother!

Martinus

Even in a situation like that? The guy pretty much is an American. He probably doesn't speak much Spanish. He got schooled with your money and now is a qualified employee. It's both unfair and wasteful to deport him.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2009, 01:29:31 PM
Even in a situation like that? The guy pretty much is an American. He probably doesn't speak much Spanish. He got schooled with your money and now is a qualified employee. It's both unfair and wasteful to deport him.

He should get a greencard like everybody else if he really is a qualified employee.

Why should we require that of other foreigners we hire and not this guy?  Because he was smuggled into the country?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

I'm a big fan of orderly societies, which in part require law enforcement to uphold existing law even if they don't like them.  Otherwise you have selective enforcement and chaos ensues.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 17, 2009, 01:32:58 PM
I'm a big fan of orderly societies, which in part require law enforcement to uphold existing law even if they don't like them.  Otherwise you have selective enforcement and chaos ensues.

Wow we really are of one mind on this issue.

From now on I deputize Caliga to speak for me on all illegal immigration issues.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on June 17, 2009, 01:32:58 PM

Consistency is certainly a consideration, but in this particular instance it appears to work an injustice - as the infant did not himself break any law, but rather a law was broken on his behalf by others.

My opinion is - keep consistency as a general rule but be willing to bend it to avoid injustice.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

I used to think that.  I guess I'm still in favor of some sort of guest worker program, though.

QuoteBut I do think illegal immigrants, when found, should be deported.

Yeppers.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on June 17, 2009, 01:37:27 PM
In my opinion, it makes more sense to execute them.
Agreed.  Deporting someone who's for all intents and purposes an American to Mexico strikes me as extremely inhumane.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2009, 01:38:38 PM
Consistency is certainly a consideration, but in this particular instance it appears to work an injustice - as the infant did not himself break any law, but rather a law was broken on his behalf by others.

My opinion is - keep consistency as a general rule but be willing to bend it to avoid injustice.
I agree with you when we're talking about certain situations that are nearly universally regarded as immoral (genocide, for example).  But you have to draw a line somewhere.  I don't think deportation--which lacks any sense of permanence in my mind--is on the genocide side of that line.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on June 17, 2009, 01:41:58 PM
I agree with you when we're talking about certain situations that are nearly universally regarded as immoral (genocide, for example).  But you have to draw a line somewhere.  I don't think deportation--which lacks any sense of permanence in my mind--is on the genocide side of that line.

What if said individual can't speak Spanish? What sort of life is he expected to have in Mexico?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2009, 01:50:16 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 17, 2009, 01:41:58 PM

What if said individual can't speak Spanish? What sort of life is he expected to have in Mexico?
Maybe he shouldn't do crimes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.