News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cities:Skylines

Started by Rex Francorum, February 10, 2015, 11:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

It won't be equal access to all platforms as their faq explains.

QuoteWill mods be supported on console?
Yes! Asset Mods will be available for Console users. Due to restrictions code mods are not possible on Console

I guess assumption is assets will function same on all platforms as seems unlikely mod creator would test across platforms.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

The console version is done in house this time, Colossal Order try to keep console and PC version updated in parallel. For C:S1 the console version was farmed out, and it usually lagged behind in terms of updates, expansions, etc. (like Stellaris).

Now Workshop vs. Paradox Mods ... Workshop can be pretty shit at times, and as Jacob says discovering stuff you want can be hard. More than once I've been wondering "is there no mod like this, or am I not using the right terms?" Sorting by "latest", "last updated", "most subscribed", "most popular in last [time frame]" helps a bit, and sometimes you find someone has created a modlist that includes what you want. However, unlike current Paradox Mods (IIRC), there's automatic updating of mods (which to be fair is its own can of worms if you want to play with a legacy version of the game), there's dependencies.

I could see it working if it's a menu within the game that gives you convenient access to mods and has plenty quality of life features, but I'm not holding my breath for that. :D

On the Paradox forums someone mentioned that while giving consolers access to mods is a good thing, it would be doubtful that they would get access to any script mods, as apparently the console companies don't like having unapproved code on their machines, so they would likely be limited to assets, anyways (and CO working on an in-game asset editor seems to speak to that)?

It might end up like Sims 4 where you can download other players' creations from within the game (Sims, Houses), but anything that adds assets or changes scripts will have to come from outside sources.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

I did notice sluggishness when watching some Let's Plays (from City Planner Plays and Infrastructurist). And lack of Steam Workshop is just mind-boggling. Think I'll cancel my preorder too and see what happens at release...

Crazy_Ivan80

haven't even preordered. I'll wait a good while and then buy it, maybe. Assuming I want to do some citybuilding.
Or I could install SC4 again.

Solmyr

Apparently the performance is atrocious. City Planner Plays had problems with stuttering and lag on a monster rig.

Zanza

Yes, read that as well. I guess I will wait then. Busy with BG3 anyway.

Syt

The team have posted more info on Paradox mods:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-introduction-to-paradox-mods.1602840/

Essentially, it's saying that yes, it will have auto-updates, mod lists, dependencies, and discussions (via link to forum), tags etc., but also versioning, which I feel is kinda crucial for Paradox games (and one of the major downsides of Steam Workshop unless you use workarounds), so you can use an older version of a mod that is compatible with an older patch or another (not updated) mod.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

FWIW, City Planner Plays has done some benchmarking on various setups and trying to check what settings deliver acceptable results.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Skylines 1 is already horrid enough on resources so I dread to imagine.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Cancelled my preorder too. This is looking like a somewhat disastrous launch. Having visually beautiful, big cities is a major selling point for games like these.

Syt

Thought about canceling, but I'm sticking with it for now. CPP's spreadsheet makes me think I should be have at least 30-40 FPS on high settings at 1080p? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIUokAXWOvHYsVZzJv7Skju5oKgm0-r4/edit#gid=2109873614

Preload was available yesterday (53 or so GB), and I will sure give it a spin tonight to see how bad it is.

One thing that seems baffling is that bicycles are absent from the game at launch - slightly weird omission for a game that has (or had?) a strong traffic management focus, and the waffling by CO when asked about it also doesn't help. They initially said it's not on their roadmap, but later "clarified"(?) that yes, bikes will be coming, but not in the immediate future.

Also noted comments about the more realistic aesthetic of the game. CS1 was surely fairly whimsical in its design - generally very colorful, but also with donut and hotdog trucks with giant donuts/hotdogs on their roofs, the giant ice cream cones on some commercial buildings etc. Understandable that many mods sought to bring a more "grounded" look to the game. Looking at the screenshots now it feels like they've been maybe overcorrecting a bit much? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I wish they hadn't wasted resources on the zoom in look of the cims. Their clarification was it was the graphic models that has prevented them from having bikes already.

Also feels like a failure if you have to consult someone's Google doc to see if you'll be able to run it...

Crazy_Ivan80

29% on steam currently...
yikes

Sheilbh

Also on Steam they've posted this which doesn't seem great:
QuoteTips: Our Guide to Optimize Performance

:weep: :(
Let's bomb Russia!