News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cities:Skylines

Started by Rex Francorum, February 10, 2015, 11:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Francorum

I am an avid city-builders fan. I played Sim City since the beginnings. I bought the now infamous Sim City aka "5" or "2013". I liked the graphics, the interface and the building's modular design. But the gameplay was disappointing because of the forced specialization and the limited space. I bought Cities XL too. This game had so much potential but the interface sucked and the game was not optimized. There is a new contestant: Cities: Skylines. I pre-ordered it today. It will be available on March 10. It will combine some interesting features: dams and hydraulic power, manageable districts, a terrain editor (not after map creation sadly but at least you can build the map you want to play on). Am I the only interested here?
To rent

viper37

Quote from: Rex Francorum on February 10, 2015, 11:46:50 PM
Am I the only interested here?
I'm guessing Syt, Tyr and Darth Wagteros might be interested. ;)
http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,11798.msg773316.html

Not my cup of tea.  The last Sim I played was Simcity 2000 :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I'm going to wait for reviews and user comments before buying this, but I'm following it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

I used to love city builders, but the last few I played have been horrible so I pretty much lost interest in the genre. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Have you tried Banished?

My favorite city builder is not really a city builder : Anno 1701. I just turn off warfare in the settings & play a fun game of putting everything in the right place.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Banished is weirdly compelling.

I'll await your review on this Rex. (Also long time now see :w00t: :hug:)
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

if you haven't already: try colonial charter for Banished.

Josquius

After Cities in Motion 2 I am coloured meh.

Quoteif you haven't already: try colonial charter for Banished.
Mods are starting to appear for Banished?
Sweet :w00t:
██████
██████
██████

Arvoreen

So talk of city builders reminded me of my other old time favorite genre....transport sims, ala Railroad Tycoon. Which lead me to find this gem: http://www.openttd.org/en/

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tyr on February 11, 2015, 02:25:54 PM
After Cities in Motion 2 I am coloured meh.

Quoteif you haven't already: try colonial charter for Banished.
Mods are starting to appear for Banished?
Sweet :w00t:

modding has been enabled for the past 6 months or so, so some good stuff is indeed available. Colonial Charter just seems to be the biggest of the roost.

PRC

Syt

Game comes out this week. I've watched quite a few streams (mostly quill18 and Arumba, but there's TONS others on Twitch and Yoobtoob), and it looks actually pretty decent. Will probably not hold a candle to a full modded Sims4, but it looks like a good start and much better than Cities XL or the 2013 SimCity. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

The buzz around this one is quite positive. Releasing the full, unfiltered game to streamers was a good marketing strategy on Paradox's part, letting the game stand on its own and show how solid it is.

Unlike EA's extremely limited SimCity5 demo which covered up all its weaknesses and fooled everyone into believing it was any good.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Indeed, though they've been very clear that proper reviews weren't permitted by the streamers. But again, things looked positive enough that I pre-ordered and I look forward to try it myself tonight for an hour or two.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Kleves

Sounds like they don't have any disasters or random events in the game, which is kind of a bummer.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.