News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hey Mono, a cousin of yours?

Started by Martinus, February 10, 2015, 03:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteHong Kong man uses gay hookup apps to steal £400,000

A man has been arrested in Hong Kong for using gay dating apps to cheat men out of £400,000 over the last year.

The 21-year-old man approached victims on gay hookup and dating apps, and persuaded them into a joint venture buying and selling gold. He claimed they would earn a 10% profit from the venture.

The man – whose last name is Kwong – then took the men to buy gold and bought jewellery worth the equivalent of £425,000. He then walked away with the gold, claiming he was going to trade it, but never returned.

The victims were four men aged 25-27 and were cheated out of up to £135,000 each.

One of the men was persuaded to take out a loan after maxing his credit card, leaving him with huge debts after.

Police searched Kwong's home in the Hung Hom district at 2pm on Friday 6 February and confiscated a computer, phone and bags of money.

According to GSN, Kwong was detained overnight on Friday 6 February for 'obtaining property by deception' – which is punishable by up to ten years in prison.

Hong Kong police have urged the public to be cautious when using dating apps. They continue to investigate whether there are more victims.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/02/09/hong-kong-man-uses-gay-dating-apps-to-steal-400000/

Incidentally, £135,000 each? What the fuck? How rich are young gay Hong Kong men?  :huh:

Monoriu

Tons of people have 135,000 pounds in their mid 20s, why is that surprising?  Quite easy if you are a professional.  Or you have rich parents. 

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 10, 2015, 03:39:48 AM
Tons of people have 135,000 pounds in their mid 20s, why is that surprising?  Quite easy if you are a professional.  Or you have rich parents.

Well, I didn't. Hell, I don't have that much in cash right now.  :(

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2015, 03:42:40 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 10, 2015, 03:39:48 AM

Well, I didn't. Hell, I don't have that much in cash right now.  :(

HUH?!  You are firmly entrenched as the richest or second richest person on languish in my mind.  You mean you don't have that much cash, as in actual notes and coins, right?  Surely you have many, many times that if you include all liquid investments like bonds, stocks, etc?

Martinus

Not really, no. I like my standard of living, so I spend a lot of what I earn on trips, luxury items, flat decor, eating out and the like, since I won't take it with me to the grave (and I don't plan on having kids). I also help my parents in their dottage, and help with my boyfriend's mom. I do have between 3-4 times that amount in real estate though.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2015, 03:54:45 AM
Not really, no. I like my standard of living, so I spend a lot of what I earn since I won't take it with me to the grave (and I don't plan on having kids). I also help my parents in their dottage, and help with my boyfriend's mom. I do have between 3-4 times that amount in real estate though.

I am shocked, and there is a great rift in my mind right now.  When you say real estate, you mean houses/apartments in addition to the one you are living in, right?

Martinus

Well, in addition to the one I live in, I have a flat in Warsaw, a house near Warsaw, and some (long term investment that one) piece of land in Eastern Poland.

Eddie Teach

If you're going to buy that much property, surely you'd want one to be somewhere with tolerable winters?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2015, 04:25:49 AM
If you're going to buy that much property, surely you'd want one to be somewhere with tolerable winters?

That's why I am considering buying on in Brussels. Or Spain. :P

Sheilbh

Ah the Brussels holiday home.

LIVE THE DREAM MARTI!
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Norgy

Admit it, Marty, you are flush.

I've only recently started saving for my dotage, which I expect will be spent in abject poverty. With cats. Lots of cats.

Admiral Yi

I recently started saving in my dotage.

Grey Fox

I don't know what a dotage is in this modern world.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Dotage means the time in your life when you're senile and decrepit.