News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

new PC build

Started by Caliga, February 07, 2015, 06:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on February 08, 2015, 08:23:29 AM
Whenever I see a gaming nerd brag about how awesome their case looks, I reach for my Beretta.

I GOTTA PUT THE GUN BACK TOGETHER
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Seriously, what I liked from Thermaltake cases is that for a while, they were the only ones to have USB, eSata, power button and headphones/microphones buttons on top of the case.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

I dunno, it's easy to make fun of the excess, but I've always thought computer cases have long been too cheaply made and poorly designed.  It seems like it should be very easy to make computer parts/assembly "hot swappable" and stupid easy to put together (for actual stupid/normal people, not the resident nerd mob).

Trying to cram a graphics card inside a cheap metal frame crammed with excess cables and force tiny, unwieldy screws into the right groove always seemed stupid to me. 

viper37

engineers and programmers have never been too concerned with end-user needs.  In fact, they probably don't want you to change anything in your computer, just change the box, like you change a DVD player or a tv instead of upgrading it.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 09, 2015, 01:58:03 PM
I dunno, it's easy to make fun of the excess, but I've always thought computer cases have long been too cheaply made and poorly designed.  It seems like it should be very easy to make computer parts/assembly "hot swappable" and stupid easy to put together (for actual stupid/normal people, not the resident nerd mob).

Trying to cram a graphics card inside a cheap metal frame crammed with excess cables and force tiny, unwieldy screws into the right groove always seemed stupid to me.

I think a computer case is very important.  I love my Mac Pro (which is the same case as the Mac G5 DSB mentioned, but with Intel chips) because of all the easy access it allows - drive are easily swappable, RAM and cards easily switchable, and of course, super, super quiet.

One of these days I'm going to pull the pin on a new computer, and right now I think I'll just go straight PC (I love OS X, but since I mostly use my computer for gaming, I spend 90%+ of the time on my Mac Pro in Windows), but I don't know where I'd find a case as nice as that on the PC side of things.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Beeb, you can continue your lifelong love affair with Apple by sticking with their best product, the iPhone.  It's ok. :hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2015, 12:43:29 PM
but I don't know where I'd find a case as nice as that on the PC side of things.
This one is for micro-atx or itx cases:
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy-m

But you have the bigger Prodigy for regulard board:
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy

And you can look their other designs, there some pretty cool ones too, albeit different than the Mac G5/Pro.

You could build a Hackintosh too:
http://lifehacker.com/the-always-up-to-date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh-o-5841604
They seem to recommend this line of cases:
http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/cases/graphite-series
Since they use a regular Intel board for i5-i7, it would of course work with Windows 10, and you could follow the guide to dual boot in OS X if you still want this.  Or go the easy way and use a Linux distro similar to OS X instead of the real OS X (like Zorin OS), it will be easier to install, requiring no 3rd party UFI boot loader.

Josquius

Cases are irrelevant for me. For 3 years I had a very old recycled ugly white thing. For one of
Those years it's power button had fell off
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Ordered.  Upgraded the SSD to an 850 EVO and threw an ASUS DVD burner in too.

Caliga

In the process of building.  Everything's been tested except the video card and it's all working.  Windows installed already, doing drivers now.

mongers

Have to say, this isn't as exciting as one of 11B4V's muscle car renovations.    :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2015, 09:03:46 PM
Sorry.  :(

Well it needs a hook like DG's recent blockbuster, the one were he got everything in and working except the graphics card, and just as he was leaning in to fix it, he knocked a whole gallon of race engine oil into the case.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Well unfortunately (for you) this has been the smoothest build I've ever done so far. :sleep: