US Reform Jewish rabbis appoint lesbian president

Started by Martinus, March 16, 2015, 08:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteUS Reform Jewish rabbis appoint lesbian president

An openly lesbian rabbi has been appointed as the head of the US Reform Jewish group.

Renowned rabbi Denise L Eger was this week elected to lead the Central Conference of American Rabbis, which is the largest rabbinical organization in the world.

The rabbi – who worked extensively on HIV and AIDS – told Associated Press of her appointment: "It really shows an arc of LGBT civil rights... I smile a lot — with a smile of incredulousness.

"It's about human rights and human dignity. If you can be a rabbi, if you can be a person of faith, if you can serve a community as their pastor, and you can have the opportunity to begin
to reconcile all of those issues, it speaks volumes."

Rabbi Hara E Person, publisher and director of the CCAR Press told Philly.com: "On a basic level, she is the first openly gay president, and that's a big deal historically.

"But Denise brings so much more, including her commitment to Reform Judaism and our values, human rights, basic human dignity, and social activism."

Rabbi Eger continued: "It is an amazing arc of history and speaks to the way Reform Judaism has encouraged the discernment and education that has made it possible to make the movement more inclusive.

"Loving your neighbour as yourself remains an overriding moral value and reminds us that we engage with another from a place of love and kindness, which are antidotes to the hate and exclusiveness of this world."

Though it is the first time a lesbian has been appointed president within Reform Judaism, Rabbi Toba Spitzer was previously national president of the Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association.

One step closer towards the Singularity.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Let us know when the Orthodox Jews follow suit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 11:42:55 AM
Is she hot?

Mom: so is this special someone Jewish?
Daughter: Yes
Mom:  so when do we meet him?
Daughter: Her.
Mom: Oh.  Oh.
[Pause]
Mom:  Ok, one out of two ain't bad.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 11:42:55 AM
Is she hot?
judge by yourself:

don't know where she fits on the guide though:
http://www.cracked.com/funny-874-lesbians/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

IIRC there's no specific rule against Lesbians in the Old Testament.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 16, 2015, 10:51:32 PM

Yes, indeed. Thanks Tim.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2015, 11:02:19 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 16, 2015, 10:51:32 PM

Yes, indeed. Thanks Tim.

Good thing we have him around to confirm this for us.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien