Anthem, Major Health Insurer, Suffers Hack Attack

Started by garbon, February 04, 2015, 11:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on February 05, 2015, 01:13:20 PM
They definitely dressed as sluts, I agree.

Has it been shown that wearing a longer skirt actually prevents rape? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 01:18:23 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 05, 2015, 01:13:20 PM
They definitely dressed as sluts, I agree.

Has it been shown that wearing a longer skirt actually prevents rape? :unsure:

You're asking for a friend? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 01:12:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 05, 2015, 09:37:53 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 05, 2015, 09:33:35 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 05, 2015, 08:42:43 AM
Don't even know why this is news anymore, actually.  Companies are not held accountable: not by the public, not by government, not even by their shareholders.
How would you like the government to hold them responsible?

Fines.

Seems fair if they are found to not have taken reasonable prevention measures. After all, they are asking to use gov't resources to find the perpetrators.

Same as someone who leaves their car unlocked and then it gets stolen--they're still going to report the theft and hope the cops catch he thieves and get their car back.  We don't fine them for having left it unlocked (not that locking it would stop anyone who knows what they're doing from being able to steal it anyway).

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 05, 2015, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 01:12:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 05, 2015, 09:37:53 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 05, 2015, 09:33:35 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 05, 2015, 08:42:43 AM
Don't even know why this is news anymore, actually.  Companies are not held accountable: not by the public, not by government, not even by their shareholders.
How would you like the government to hold them responsible?

Fines.

Seems fair if they are found to not have taken reasonable prevention measures. After all, they are asking to use gov't resources to find the perpetrators.

Same as someone who leaves their car unlocked and then it gets stolen--they're still going to report the theft and hope the cops catch he thieves and get their car back.  We don't fine them for having left it unlocked (not that locking it would stop anyone who knows what they're doing from being able to steal it anyway).

Well thanks for demolishing your own argument. :D

dps

There's nothing you can really do to keep a professional from stealing your car off of a parking lot if he wants it badly enough.  But locking is still an appropriate security measure--it at least at least helps to deter the amateurs a bit.

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 05, 2015, 03:06:33 PM
There's nothing you can really do to keep a professional from stealing your car off of a parking lot if he wants it badly enough.  But locking is still an appropriate security measure--it at least at least helps to deter the amateurs a bit.

We seem to have increasingly companies not taken measures that could prevent a lot of these instances but perhaps aren't doing so because of the cost. Maybe it is just rosy memories (and poorer reporting previously) but it feels like all the time now I get notices of how my personal info has been leaked or stolen.

This seems a rather big issue given that it is personal information and in this most recent example something that you pretty much need to have in the US (health insurance) as opposed to say a credit card. Given the importance / impact this could have on the general public, it seems like the gov't ought to do something if major corporations are not.

All that said, perhaps major corporations are taking all of the reasonable precautions that are needed and this really just is the work of professionals who will get in no matter what.

frunk

I think a better analogy would be to say that these are companies that are making cars that don't have locks (or have defective locks), not that it is users of the cars not locking (which can also happen, but will typically result in small data breaches).

The Brain

Companies won't realistically be able to protect themselves against "a very sophisticated attack" when it comes to systems that cannot be completely isolated.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on February 05, 2015, 03:15:39 PM
Companies won't realistically be able to protect themselves against "a very sophisticated attack" when it comes to systems that cannot be completely isolated.

Do you think a company spokesperson would say an attack wasn't "sophisticated"?

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 03:36:40 PM

What does it matter?

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on February 05, 2015, 03:38:56 PM

What does it matter?

Your statement is irrelevant if most of the attacks aren't actually very sophisticated.

dps

"Our security precautions are so lacking, a rank amateur using a 386 and a 28K external modem could completely steal all of our data in about 60 seconds."  Yeah, not something they are going to say.

OTOH, I don't really know enough about cybersecurity to know what precautions are and aren't reasonable (beyond really basic things like "Don't use "PASSWORD" as your password"), nor how hard or easy even good security is to get around.

Siege

Fucking Garbon sucks at thread naming even worst than Jacob.
And that's saying a lot.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: Siege on February 05, 2015, 03:43:31 PM
Fucking Garbon sucks at thread naming even worst than Jacob.
And that's saying a lot.

If you take issue with the headline, you can take it up with Pete Williams of NBC News.