News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guilty pleasure TV shows.

Started by 11B4V, January 30, 2015, 09:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

No, as Ed would totally be expected to enjoy BJ & The Bear.  And Sheriff Lobo.

Martinus

I wouldn't call Modern Family a "guilty pleasure". It's a comedy show and one that is very well done. It has consistently won Emmys.

To me, a "guilty pleasure" show is something that you recognise to be sub-standard in some aspects of it, and generally kitschy/bad/sucky but you enjoy it anyway.

My guilty pleasure shows would be "Glee", "Once Upon the Time", "Galavant" (although, it deliberately tries to be so out of it, it may actually not count as a "guilty pleasure"), "True Blood", and "Reign" (although I stopped watching the last one, as the "kitsch" part was too strong).

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2015, 12:50:48 AM
No, as Ed would totally be expected to enjoy BJ & The Bear.  And Sheriff Lobo.

Gotcha.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on January 31, 2015, 01:47:31 AM
I wouldn't call Modern Family a "guilty pleasure". It's a comedy show and one that is very well done. It has consistently won Emmys.

To me, a "guilty pleasure" show is something that you recognise to be sub-standard in some aspects of it, and generally kitschy/bad/sucky but you enjoy it anyway.

My guilty pleasure shows would be "Glee", "Once Upon the Time", "Galavant" (although, it deliberately tries to be so out of it, it may actually not count as a "guilty pleasure"), "True Blood", and "Reign" (although I stopped watching the last one, as the "kitsch" part was too strong).

Some of the shows you mention dont even fit your definition, so I call it a wash.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I'm also a bit surprised to see stuff like Frasier or Modern Family listed as "guilty pleasures." I always thought the term applied to things that were generally not well regarded (or for which you aren't the target audience) that you enjoy nevertheless.

Clone Wars would be a guilty pleasure of mine (and so will be Rebels once I start watching it). Or the occasional binge watching of pro wrestling. Or Married With Children (which has aged pretty badly).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on January 31, 2015, 02:19:44 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 31, 2015, 01:47:31 AM

Some of the shows you mention dont even fit your definition, so I call it a wash.

Which ones? Except for Galavant, each suffers from bad writing, bad acting and, in OUtT's case, low production value. All are also corny as fuck. Glee has been going back and forth between inane comedy (where people behave unrealistically and do things for which people in normal world would be jailed) and serious show tackling The Issues (tm). Once Upon the Time, True Blood and Reign are soap operas. Reign makes The Tudors look positively like a History channel documentary.

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on January 31, 2015, 02:21:01 AM
I'm also a bit surprised to see stuff like Frasier or Modern Family listed as "guilty pleasures." I always thought the term applied to things that were generally not well regarded (or for which you aren't the target audience) that you enjoy nevertheless.

I dont think I'm the target audience of Fraiser and Modern Family. Now, The Shield or The Wire,  two shows I can't stand, would be aimed at me.

IMO, for Marty to list Glee, Galavant, and True Blood as a guilty pleasure under your definition would not fit. Those shows IMO target certain gays and/or teenage girls, so they fit well with Marty.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

I don't think it's about target audience, but more about objective quality of the show. In fact, it's actually the target audience for whom the show is usually a guilty pleasure, despite it being a bad show overall.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on January 31, 2015, 02:36:11 AM
I don't think it's about target audience, but more about objective quality of the show. In fact, it's actually the target audience for whom the show is usually a guilty pleasure, despite it being a bad show overall.

Do you honestly think, if I started talking about Glee (for example) at "my" work, what sort of ribbing and shenanigans would abound. 

Martinus

What does it have to do with a concept of guilty pleasure? Me starting talking about liking Glee would cause ribbing too (assuming people even knew what it was), no matter that I'm out at work.

Hell, my boyfriend makes fun of me for that. This is what a "guilty pleasure" means.

Eddie Teach

It's Once Upon a Time, Marty.

A show can be a "guilty pleasure" for a lot of reasons and I don't think you necessarily need to be embarrassed to admit watching it.

QuoteI dont think I'm the target audience of Fraiser and Modern Family.

They are network sitcoms, so basically targeted at everybody.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

@ Marty
With the awards that show has won and been nominated for, I would hardly classify it as you have. Maybe your opinion, which is fine.

Admiral Yi

Saved by the Bell.

I am a non-practicing pedophile.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2015, 03:11:25 AM
Saved by the Bell.

I am a non-practicing pedophile.

I don't think you're using that word properly.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on January 31, 2015, 03:09:38 AM
@ Marty
With the awards that show has won and been nominated for, I would hardly classify it as you have. Maybe your opinion, which is fine.

It went downhill. :P