News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ah, memories

Started by Monoriu, June 15, 2009, 01:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2009, 11:22:10 AM
I doubt that having done 10,000 hours of community service, supposedly for a great number of various minor crimes, makes you more qualified.

well then it time to move up to the big leagues and gain some exposure to the international crime cartels.
humans were created in their own image

The Brain

I can see several reasons for saying that the Chinese system is bad, but it being unfair of all things isn't one of them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on June 15, 2009, 11:32:02 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2009, 11:22:10 AM
I doubt that having done 10,000 hours of community service, supposedly for a great number of various minor crimes, makes you more qualified.

well then it time to move up to the big leagues and gain some exposure to the international crime cartels.

Yeah are there exams to take to join the Triad?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2009, 11:40:00 AM
Yeah are there exams to take to join the Triad?
Break into a British prison and free the world's greatest kung fu killer.  Duh.

Monoriu

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 15, 2009, 11:16:45 AM
If you're the 86 with 10,000 hours of community service and the ability to speak 10 languages you'd be an idiot if you didn't study abroad.

Only if you can afford it :contract:

PDH

Had a girl in my class last spring who was from Beijing.  Her father had studied in the US, and he wanted her to go to university in the US (but someplace safe...Wyoming).  She did the "English High School" route and then came to get a business degree here...

They were the anti-chinese, I think.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Monoriu

Quote from: PDH on June 15, 2009, 07:30:58 PM
Had a girl in my class last spring who was from Beijing.  Her father had studied in the US, and he wanted her to go to university in the US (but someplace safe...Wyoming).  She did the "English High School" route and then came to get a business degree here...

They were the anti-chinese, I think.

We have "international schools" in Hong Kong.  Not 100% sure if we are talking about the same thing, but could be.  The original purpose of these schools is to provide a place for the children of British civil servants and other expats.  So that they don't need to go through the Chinese exam system and they can merge with the British school system back in the UK, should their parents decide to go back. 

But over time, a lot of rich local Chinese see the merits of those schools as well.  They plan to send their children to overseas universities anyway, so there is no point to study for the Chinese exams.  Children studying in these schools generally learn much better English (because so many of the class is British, they have no choice but to speak English at school).  They are also much happier, because the work load is much lighter without the burden of the exam.  The downside is that these schools are very expensive, and very difficult to get in.  I know lots of people who register their kids at such schools before they are even born. 

PDH

She was a really nice girl, just finishing her degree in business and wanted to take a history course as an elective.  When she finished the semester, she gave me this bronze frieze thingy showing the first Emperor at the gates of Xian.  She is getting her MBA as some nice school back east starting this fall.

(I suspect her folks had a fair amount of money)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM