Should prisons offer degree-granting courses to convicted felons?

Started by jimmy olsen, January 29, 2015, 01:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 29, 2015, 01:49:29 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 29, 2015, 01:45:55 AM
Let them rot.
Touche, an elegant and detailed rebuttal.

Humor is a lost art here.  11B obviously is not so idiotic as to believe his stated position; he is clearly just pretending to be a troll to make us lol.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I have taught some distance course, and some of the students were long-term guests at various prisons around the region.  I found, to be honest, that the work done by them and the communication with them showed such people to be among the smartest and best adjusted meth dealers and killers I had ever worked with.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DontSayBanana

Quote from: 11B4V on January 29, 2015, 01:38:54 AM
I would rather see a poor person, that doesn't have a chance to get a degree, get one. Not some POS criminal. Do that, then worry about the criminals. Every POS criminal you think about offering this to, instead offer it to a poor person.

And you realize how many poor people that "doesn't[sic] have a chance to get a degree" you would be rendering ineligible by excluding felons?  There's huge overlap between the two groups.

Maybe exclude violent offenders or offenders who have been denied parole at least a certain number of times, but a lot of our prisoners are in for basic vice offenses, and many have gotten into vice trades by dint of not being able to afford post-secondary education or being able to start a career.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Actually, let me backtrack a bit.  I'd narrow the eligibility further by adding a breach of trust requirement.  So inmates convicted of nonviolent crimes not centrally involving a breach of trust (which is mostly white-collar crime, but there are some scam artists out there who shouldn't be working toward any fiduciary responsibility anytime soon).
Experience bij!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 29, 2015, 01:27:36 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 29, 2015, 01:22:06 AM
No, they should rot.
Cuts recidivism by 43%. That's a lot fewer crimes committed against innocent citizens, and a lot less of our tax dollars spent on supporting these guys in prison.

Are they committing fewer crimes on release or are they simply getting caught less because they are more clever and deliberate?   :ph34r:

:D
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

More seriously I would be cautious re the recidivism statistics until verifying what efforts the study design made to eliminate selection bias.   I.e. the sorts of people most likely to seek out and stay in such programs are also the people that are a priori less likely to reoffend on release, regardless of whether the programs were available or not.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2015, 11:01:19 AM
More seriously I would be cautious re the recidivism statistics until verifying what efforts the study design made to eliminate selection bias.   I.e. the sorts of people most likely to seek out and stay in such programs are also the people that are a priori less likely to reoffend on release, regardless of whether the programs were available or not.

The study this references can be found here: http://www.rand.org/news/press/2013/08/22.html

As one would expect for such a study, it argues that the
Quote... estimate is based on studies that carefully account for motivation and other differences between correctional education recipients and non-recipients.
How successful those studies are at such accounting remains unknown, of course.

I would note that the Rand study isn't about "degree-granting" programs as implied by the title of the thread.  The lowered recidivism rates were also from studies about the even more popular education programs offered GED completion (which i don't think even Neanderthals/Republicans would oppose).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

I don't believe in reeducation.
They should pay for their crimes, and pay hard.
This school thing would come out of our taxes, s0o fuck no.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2015, 01:32:23 AM
Other than the ability to afford it, I struggle to think of a single argument against it.

How will law abiding citizens be able to compete with hordes of criminals with degrees on their resume from the local corrections facility?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2015, 12:34:58 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2015, 01:32:23 AM
Other than the ability to afford it, I struggle to think of a single argument against it.

How will law abiding citizens be able to compete with hordes of criminals with degrees on their resume from the local corrections facility?

They go do a stint in prison of course.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Of course they should.
The old Victorian idea of prison purely as a place of punishment just doesn't work. Prisons exist to try and cut down crime- both my taking dangerous people temporarily off the streets and trying to make them less dangerous when they get out. Givin them options beyond crime and taking them away from the university of how to be a better crook is a sensible way to do this
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on January 29, 2015, 01:38:54 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 29, 2015, 01:27:36 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 29, 2015, 01:22:06 AM
No, they should rot.
Cuts recidivism by 43%. That's a lot fewer crimes committed against innocent citizens, and a lot less of our tax dollars spent on supporting these guys in prison.

I would rather see a poor person, that doesn't have a chance to get a degree, get one. Not some POS criminal. Do that, then worry about the criminals. Every POS criminal you think about offering this to, instead offer it to a poor person.
well, you already got the building, likely a few computers, gym, showers, dormitories, so all you need really, is  a few teachers at 70k/year doing it part time.  No big deal in terms of costs, imho.

And since, as Mono said, you're going to release them someday, might be better of if they don't return, it will save badly needed space.  Cost efficient measure, I fail to see why we should oppose that.  In fact, I thought it was already the case.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Siege on January 29, 2015, 11:40:48 AM
I don't believe in reeducation.
They should pay for their crimes, and pay hard.
This school thing would come out of our taxes, s0o fuck no.

what about people who poison wells?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

You know, we've been hear so long. I forget the origin of that meme. Did Siege actually claim to poison wells while in the IDF?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".