Test Finds College Graduates Lack Skills for White-Collar Jobs

Started by CountDeMoney, January 28, 2015, 11:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

It's a common expression in M&A world ("completion deliverable" is something that is done at the completion of the deal, as opposed to being a condition precedent to completion). I guess for this reason CdM may start to oppose it. :P

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 29, 2015, 02:09:31 PM
I dunno, it seems to me like it may have been coined so management types can talk about their process in the abstract without knowing what's really going on.

Well... sometimes management has to talk about their process in the abstract, and whether they know what's really going on or not is irrelevant.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2015, 02:00:09 PM
It's also a useful term when you want to narrow down and nail someone down on what the point of some project or task is - "What is the deliverable?" is a good question to force out the bullshit, blahblahblah rhetoric crap that middle management stuffs into everything.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever - what is it that you expect to come out of this effort - what is the deliverable?"

Which is totally unfair.

Middle management is only blabbering about the BS stuff because upper management put in their objectives to take action on the BS stuff, and blabbering is what they are doing to so they can meet some nebulous objective.

Upper management put that stuff in middle management objectives because legal told them they needed to have some evidence that their organization cares about some topic in the event of future litigation.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2015, 02:11:36 PM
It's a common expression in M&A world ("completion deliverable" is something that is done at the completion of the deal, as opposed to being a condition precedent to completion). I guess for this reason CdM may start to oppose it. :P

It's common enough in consultancy, project management and even professional writing so I was deliwering deliwerables long before lawyers like you decided I didn't have to anymore.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2015, 01:51:58 PM
Maybe it is a term that makes sense and has useful appliacability in the technical world getting used in a more sloppy manner elsewhere?

We use the word all the time, and it is well understood to mean some tangible "thing" that has to be delivered - the outcome of some project, task, or effort. The deliverable. The thing to be delivered.

Perfectly useful word.
Almost every meaningless corporate-speak buzzword started out as a useful word, before it got corrupted by people who need to say something when they have nothing to say.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2015, 11:34:06 AM
Smells like certifications, not degrees.
All of those are in my CV. None have certificates and I've got a BA which shows a reasonable level of intelligence.

If the issue is things like literacy then I think the problem starts way before uni. I agree with Marty on most other things.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 29, 2015, 02:26:06 PM
All of those are in my CV. None have certificates and I've got a BA which shows a reasonable level of intelligence.

If the issue is things like literacy then I think the problem starts way before uni. I agree with Marty on most other things.

You note those on your CV? Those look like they could at best be filed under "basic office skills." :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2015, 02:28:21 PM

You note those on your CV? Those look like they could at best be filed under "basic office skills." :unsure:

Not all of us can get by with just one word on our resume, Cardinal.  Some of us actually need to identify our specific competencies and proficiencies.   :P

Sheilbh

You'd be amazed the number of people who can't use spreadsheets :lol:

When they learn I've even done a bit of coding :o :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2015, 02:32:38 PM

Not all of us can get by with just one word on our resume, Cardinal.  Some of us actually need to identify our specific competencies and proficiencies.   :P

With email etiquette? ;)

Also that word in question is on page 2 of mine.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 29, 2015, 02:37:41 PM
You'd be amazed the number of people who can't use spreadsheets :lol:

Yeah.  Some of my bank customers-- bookkeeping types-- lock up in fear when I walk them through our recommended balancing procedures on a spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet has all the calculations built in, so that all you have to do is enter some figures from reports and you're done.  Amazes me how many of them print out the spreadsheet and try to complete it by hand.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

I felt very proud of myself the other day.  I was struggling with a moderately complex employee theft case - there were 40-50 small thefts that added up to a considerable sum, but I couldn't get my numbers to match up.  Then I remembered this is exactly what you use a spreadsheet for.

So I dusted off my copy of Excel, remembered how to do a spreadsheet.  That little spreadsheet then in turn wound up being my roadmap for the entire case, and was what led a notoriously difficult to obtain a conviction from judge willing to actually convict someone.   :showoff:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.