Two States Will Revoke Your Driver’s License If You Can’t Pay Back Student Loans

Started by jimmy olsen, January 19, 2015, 07:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Are there no poor houses? Are there no workhouses?

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/01/these-states-will-revoke-your-drivers-license-if-you-cant-pay-back-student-loans/

QuoteThese States Will Revoke Your Driver's License If You Can't Pay Back Student Loans

January 17, 2015 9:38 pm·

Most of the nation is unaware of it, but there are two states which will take your driver's license away if you do not pay your student loans.

Alums in both Montana and Iowa, face laws that allow the state to revoke driver's licenses if the individual is unable to pay back their loans.

This has obvious consequences for potential employment, as well as childcare, creating a downward spiral of self-perpetuating poverty.

The Montana Department of Justice says that those who default on their student loans face "indefinite suspension until student loan association notifies Motor Vehicle Division of compliance."

The Department of Motor Vehicles in Iowa parallels this legislation almost identically. The law says that the State will "suspend a person's driver's license upon receiving a certificate of noncompliance from the College Student Aid Commission in regard to the person's default on an obligation owed to or collected by the commission."

But the group Jobs With Justice notes that in October 2010, there were also 42 nurses in Tennessee who similarly had their licenses suspended for nothing other than falling behind on their student loans.

The irony of all of this is that taking away the ability to drive makes student loan defaulters even more certain to fall behind on payments.

In effect, this is little different than debtors prison, which, in a misguided effort to deter loan default, actually perpetuates it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

To what?  The bullshit is in the misleading story title.  No one is revoking a license for "being unable to pay."  They're revoking a license because borrowers are not calling up Student Loan Servicing to arrange deferments or forebearances or alternative repayment plans.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Yeah, Timmay.  There's a distinct difference between "being unable to pay" and "not paying".  Go get 'em, Iowa and Montana.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2015, 09:30:34 PM
Yeah, Timmay.  There's a distinct difference between "being unable to pay" and "not paying".  Go get 'em, Iowa and Montana.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

The Montana Department of Justice says that those who default on their student loans face "indefinite suspension until student loan association notifies Motor Vehicle Division of compliance."

The Department of Motor Vehicles in Iowa parallels this legislation almost identically. The law says that the State will "suspend a person's driver's license upon receiving a certificate of noncompliance from the College Student Aid Commission in regard to the person's default on an obligation owed to or collected by the commission."

This doesn't seem to make a distinction between those who can pay and choose not to, and those who are unable to pay. :unsure:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

It doesn't make a distinction between those who don't want to pay, and those who are unable to pay but can't be arsed to call a toll free number and ask for a forebearance, or an income based repayment plan.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2015, 11:02:20 PM
I don't know what a forbearance is.

A forebearance means you don't have to pay for the time being.  You don't go into default while in forebearance.  You don't get threatening letters and you don't get your wages garnished.  Interest keeps accruing.

CountDeMoney

After that, when you owe more in interest than the actual loan and can't pay it off, that's when your license gets suspended.  So you see, Timmay, there's more to this story than what was in that article.

Ideologue

If the laws include private loans, then eternal forebearances and IBR/PAYE are not available.

Additionally, these laws may be unconstitutional.  I vaguely remember something along the lines of states aren't allowed to do stuff like this, meddling in interstate commerce issues that are already governed by federal law outside of a clear nexus with state interests.  Maybe I'm misremembering.

Either way, I'm curious how this involves the states whatsoever: the loan money is either private or (in almost every circumstance now) federal.  Not state.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 20, 2015, 12:23:38 AM
Either way, I'm curious how this involves the states whatsoever: the loan money is either private or (in almost every circumstance now) federal.  Not state.

It involves the state's conservative bases, who want to make people who can't pay, pay.

Ideologue

QuoteBut the group Jobs With Justice notes that in October 2010, there were also 42 nurses in Tennessee who similarly had their licenses suspended for nothing other than falling behind on their student loans.

I wonder if this is lost in translation.  Revoking professional licensure is a conventional punishment for non-payers, and is determined by the governing body: state bars will throw you out, and I believe medical boards will too.  It's to keep the profession morally pure, I guess, purity being something lawyers and doctors are well-known for.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)