News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 24, 2009, 11:17:18 PM
Any good recommendations for books on the Korean War?

I really enjoyed "The Coldest Winter"

Here is a review from the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/23/books/review/Frankel-t.html

crazy canuck

Quote from: Alatriste on August 25, 2009, 01:21:41 AM
Beware, Niall Ferguson reputation in Economics is not terribly good

Given recent events no Economist is looking particular stellar.  He is an historian of economics and I enjoyed his historical descriptions. 

ulmont

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2009, 09:30:52 AM
Quote from: Scipio on August 25, 2009, 06:35:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 25, 2009, 01:11:54 PM
Quote from: Scipio on August 25, 2009, 06:18:36 AM
That will pass.

Why?
Contact Jordanitis.

You are speaking in code I cannot decode.

The developing tendency to slow down the advancement of plot and focus on the daily minutia of an increasing number of viewpoint characters.  Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is the classic example:  the first book covers something like a year of time, the last like a day.

crazy canuck

BuddhaRhubarb

reading a novel called "Fruit" (Brian Francis) about a young gay Canadian boy in the burbs. I can relate to the cross-dressing but not the rest of it (i was never attracted to a male teacher/or any adult male ever as a kid, eww). fun sense of the early 80's though from the writer, as well as the retarded things that kids do thinking they are oh so smart, when.....
:p

jimmy olsen

Quote from: ulmont on August 26, 2009, 09:38:27 AM
That will pass.

Why?
Contact Jordanitis.

The developing tendency to slow down the advancement of plot and focus on the daily minutia of an increasing number of viewpoint characters.  Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is the classic example:  the first book covers something like a year of time, the last like a day.
The last book covered at least a month of time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2009, 03:26:18 PM
Quote from: ulmont on August 26, 2009, 09:38:27 AM
That will pass.

Why?
Contact Jordanitis.

The last book covered at least a month of time.

So you claim. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 24, 2009, 11:17:18 PM

Any good recommendations for books on the Korean War?

Toland's In Mortal Combat 1950-53 - Is Okay.

This kind of War Fehrenbach -Is Better.

Both should be extremely cheap used.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Finished reading The Terror by Dan Simmons. 

It was very different. A horror/thriller fiction based on the 1845 Franklin Expedition in the Arctic Circle, which ended up in the deaths of both crews of the Terror and Erebus.

It reads like a good historical novel, well detailed and all that, and often you think you're reading an adventure book, based on the actual events. Except you have this nasty huge monster under the ice killing everyone one by one.

But mostly, you have chapters of men, struggling to survive on the ice under incredibly harsh conditions. Except for the rather metaphysical ending, I thought this book, all 950 pages, was really good.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

Fuck you G.R.R Martin, Jordan's kicking your ass from beyond the grave! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

http://www.dragonmount.com/News/
Quote# CHAPTER ONE of The Gathering Storm is NOW AVAILABLE for FREE on Tor.com. On September 4th at 9:30 PM (EST, GMT -5), you can go to Tor.com to get it. You will need to register with their site, but it is free to do so. Don't miss this opportunity to start reading the book TONIGHT. (And you thought you had plans on Friday night, huh?) Chapter 1 will remain on Tor.com through the end of October. An audio version is also available via the same link.

# The PROLOGUE to The Gathering Storm will be available as an eBook purchase beginning on September 17th. The price will be $2.99 and will be available from Amazon.com, BN.com, Tor.com, as well as other online vendors.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

I'm currently finishing up Ordered to Die, by Edward J. Erickson, which is a look into the Ottoman military during the Great War.

It is rather dry and not terribly well-written, but it is one of the few English-language works there are on the subject.  Despite the flaws, I do enjoy the plethora of statistics and insight into the Ottoman staff's planning (there was rather little, and it was schizophrenic) as well as the force dispositions and OOBs that dominate the book.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien