News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PRC

Quote from: sbr on August 16, 2009, 02:34:30 PM
Anyone have a recommendation on a broad overview, "light reading" book on the Roman Empire and times?  My historical interest/knowledge is most recent and American history; the American Revolution is about as far as I go back.

Thanks

On the Fall of the Republic check out "Rubicon" by Tom Holland.. it's light reading but pretty good writing and very readable.  Though again, it focuses on the Fall of the Republic and not the Empire.

Sheilbh

Just finished American Gods which I think is over-rated.

Also finishing God's Secret Agents by Alice Hogge.  It's a history of the Jesuit missions to England during the reign of Elizabeth and leading up to the Gunpowder plot.  Generally it's very good, the really interesting stuff comes from the Jesuit letters that survive, especially John Gerard and Henry Garnet's (I may have their names the wrong way round).  I think the mission is very different than I would have expected.  My only criticism is that I think she loses focus in a few places and what are important parts of the book seem like digressions until 50 pages on when you realise the relevance.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

And I'm a quarter of the way through 'The Quincunx' which is a bit of a Victorian pastiche.  So far it's very good with lots of really well-done little features.  No idea how it'll all add up, or if it'll all add up. 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quincunx-Inheritance-John-Huffam/dp/0140177620
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

I'm reading Peter F Hamilton's Pandora's Star. I have read the Night's Dawn trilogy years ago. I find Hamilton a low-risk SF choice.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Just learned yesterday that my Gram's boyfriend was with the the 555th "Triple Nickle Field Artillery for 17th months in Korea.

So I decided to look the unit up. They served with the 5th Regimental Combat Team.

Unfortunately their unit history is going for $428.16 on Amazon <_<

http://www.amazon.com/Hills-Sacrifice-5th-RCT-Korea/dp/1563115883
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 22, 2009, 02:00:26 AM
Just finished American Gods which I think is over-rated.

It's for Americans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 22, 2009, 02:04:49 AM
And I'm a quarter of the way through 'The Quincunx' which is a bit of a Victorian pastiche.  So far it's very good with lots of really well-done little features.  No idea how it'll all add up, or if it'll all add up. 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quincunx-Inheritance-John-Huffam/dp/0140177620

I liked it a lot. However, my favourite by that authour is the excellent Betrayals. It is very much a 'love it or hate it' kind of book - I loved it. I think you would appreciate its brand of witty, intricate cruelty combined with commentary on literary "theory".

http://www.amazon.com/Betrayals-Charles-Palliser/dp/0345404351/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251122413&sr=8-4

Edit: it is very different from the Quincunx (which does indeed add up at the end, though you may have to read it twice to figure it all out).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

During my holiday I read "Ascent of Money" by Niall Fergason.  I liked the how he tied historical developments into how our system works.  I now have a better understanding of how the bond market works at least.

I also finished Game of Thrones and I am onto the second book.  I didnt think I would like it but I was pleasantly surprised.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2009, 06:16:09 PM
Just learned yesterday that my Gram's boyfriend was with the the 555th "Triple Nickle Field Artillery for 17th months in Korea.

So I decided to look the unit up. They served with the 5th Regimental Combat Team.

Unfortunately their unit history is going for $428.16 on Amazon <_<

http://www.amazon.com/Hills-Sacrifice-5th-RCT-Korea/dp/1563115883
Anyone know where to get out of order books like this cheap?

Any good recommendations for books on the Korean War?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Alatriste

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 24, 2009, 01:42:51 PM
During my holiday I read "Ascent of Money" by Niall Fergason.  I liked the how he tied historical developments into how our system works.  I now have a better understanding of how the bond market works at least.

I also finished Game of Thrones and I am onto the second book.  I didnt think I would like it but I was pleasantly surprised.

Beware, Niall Ferguson reputation in Economics is not terribly good, at least in his articles on present events. As they use to say, he rush in where angels fear to tread.

Scipio

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 24, 2009, 01:42:51 PM
That will pass.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on August 24, 2009, 09:02:32 AMI think you would appreciate its brand of witty, intricate cruelty combined with commentary on literary "theory".
I always thought literary theory was a brand of witty, intricate cruelty.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I continued my crime book binge by starting the Wallander novels.  The first one was good.  I like the very Swedish combination of a normal crime/thriller plot with social concern and a discussion on the problem of immigration :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.