News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2015, 08:39:42 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2015, 08:30:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2015, 08:25:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 14, 2015, 02:27:23 PM
This year I intend to read at least one book.  :smarty:

I just downloaded

The Battle of Franklin: When the Devil had Full Possession of the Earth

Great title, but unless the writing is fantastic, that just seems to be a rather boring battle to read about. Totally one sided.
Tim, Tim.... :hmm:
Wouldn't want to read about Fredricksburg or Cold Harbor either.

There are so many more interesting battles from that war to read about.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

The Rock FTW. Thomas best Union general.

Pound for pound, arguably the best operational guy they ever had.

Admiral Yi

Check out the way slave state boy uses "they" for the Union.  :ph34r:

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2015, 08:43:33 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2015, 08:39:42 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2015, 08:30:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 14, 2015, 02:27:23 PM
This year I intend to read at least one book.  :smarty:

I just downloaded

The Battle of Franklin: When the Devil had Full Possession of the Earth

Great title, but unless the writing is fantastic, that just seems to be a rather boring battle to read about. Totally one sided.
Tim, Tim.... :hmm:
Wouldn't want to read about Fredricksburg or Cold Harbor either.

There are so many more interesting battles from that war to read about.

Monstrous
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2015, 08:17:04 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2015, 04:55:55 PM
I know this is pretty vague, but I'm looking for recommendations for a good sci-fi or fantasy book (or saga). I have read most of what could be considered "classic", so I'm actually looking for something a bit modern.
For fantasy try this

http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-Kings-Stormlight-Archive/dp/0765365278

You are not the first person that recommended me that series. I might go with that one.

Berkut around? He suggested me A Song of Fire and Ice waaaaaay back in EUOT so his opinion carries a lot of weight with me.  :worthy:

Gups

I've had no luck with fantasy at all recently and have pretty much given up on the genre.

Lot sof decent sci-fi out there though. Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie is probably the best I read last year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancillary-Justice-Imperial-Radch-Book-ebook/dp/B00BU1DG1S/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Gups

Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2015, 04:08:28 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2015, 08:17:04 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2015, 04:55:55 PM
I know this is pretty vague, but I'm looking for recommendations for a good sci-fi or fantasy book (or saga). I have read most of what could be considered "classic", so I'm actually looking for something a bit modern.
For fantasy try this

http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-Kings-Stormlight-Archive/dp/0765365278

You are not the first person that recommended me that series. I might go with that one.

Berkut around? He suggested me A Song of Fire and Ice waaaaaay back in EUOT so his opinion carries a lot of weight with me.  :worthy:

I read Mistborn by him. It wasn't totally shit but it was pretty bad. I didn't finish it.

Agelastus

Quote from: Gups on January 15, 2015, 05:06:00 AM
I've had no luck with fantasy at all recently and have pretty much given up on the genre.

Lot sof decent sci-fi out there though. Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie is probably the best I read last year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancillary-Justice-Imperial-Radch-Book-ebook/dp/B00BU1DG1S/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Seconded; probably the best Sci-Fi book I read last year as well.

As for Sanderson Stormlight Archive is a lot better than Mistborn. I read both available volumes back in November...(yes, Tim, I'm fairly sure you're the one who recommended it to me - it only took me a couple of years to follow up on your rec. though! :P)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Ancillary Justice was on backorder at my regular scifi/fantasy bookstore , so I got Way of Kings from Brandon Sanderson. I've gone through the first chapters and so far I find it pretty entertaining.

Jacob

Quote from: Gups on January 15, 2015, 05:06:00 AM

What do you look for in fantasy? And what books have delivered it in the past?