News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

In an alt history, Haig could have really been in charge.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

mongers

This year I intend to read at least one book.  :smarty:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 14, 2015, 02:27:23 PM

Am I missing something? Do you dislike reading? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 02:36:37 PM

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. I even manage an average of 10.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2015, 02:38:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 02:36:37 PM

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. I even manage an average of 10.

It's just finding/setting aside the time to do it.  :(

celedhring

I know this is pretty vague, but I'm looking for recommendations for a good sci-fi or fantasy book (or saga). I have read most of what could be considered "classic", so I'm actually looking for something a bit modern.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2015, 04:55:55 PM
I know this is pretty vague, but I'm looking for recommendations for a good sci-fi or fantasy book (or saga). I have read most of what could be considered "classic", so I'm actually looking for something a bit modern.

Well I don't know what you consider good but I've always liked Kate Elliot's Crossroads and The Novels of the Jaran series. The latter is a bit older (90s) but I think an interesting look at sci-fi + primitive cultures. Neither have fully solid endings though (not as in disappointing - as in she has left room to finish writing if she chooses too :D).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Brian Aldiss's Helliconia trilogy, combines planetary science with broad historical themes oh and some sex. The human relationships are also often quite well drawn.

jimmy olsen

For fantasy try this

http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-Kings-Stormlight-Archive/dp/0765365278
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I knew you were going to suggest Brian Sanderson. :D

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

I just downloaded

The Battle of Franklin: When the Devil had Full Possession of the Earth

Snow and Steel: The Battle of the Bulge, 1944-45

Nothing in kindle format on The Battle of Nashville. The Rock FTW. Thomas best Union general.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2015, 08:25:20 PM

I just downloaded

Great title, but unless the writing is fantastic, that just seems to be a rather boring battle to read about. Totally one sided.

1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2015, 08:30:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2015, 08:25:20 PM

I just downloaded

Great title, but unless the writing is fantastic, that just seems to be a rather boring battle to read about. Totally one sided.
Tim, Tim.... :hmm: