News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on November 15, 2014, 08:07:12 AM
I finished the third book of Will Durant's story of civilization; "Caesar and Christ."  Septimius Severus would be a great name for a super villain, or maybe a rival claimant to the Cobra organization along with Cobra Commander and Serpentor.

The best super villain Emperor name remains Maximinus Thrax.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Adam Tooze's new history is latest on the doorstep :

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Ooh.  I want that one.
Can't wait to see if he takes a few shots at the teenaged Albert Speer.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Started reading Piketty. Wish me luck.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2014, 12:45:01 PM

Let me know what assets I need to hoard to be one of the super rich people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Will you be like the vast majority and not make it past page 20?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2014, 01:42:09 PM

Some of the reviewers didn't even make it that far . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I picked up a book on early Missouri history.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2014, 01:50:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2014, 01:42:09 PM

Some of the reviewers didn't even make it that far . . .

I recall reading a book a while back, then checking out some reviews.  A professional one clearly had not made it past page 3.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

This book sounds interesting:
QuoteEmmanuel Carrère: a poet and psychopath doing his best to further destabilise Ukraine
In a review of Limonov by Emmanuel Carrère, a one-time poet, now full-blown psychopath, emerges as one of the most controversial characters of contemporary Russia
BOOKS 2 Comments Boris Dralyuk 22 November 2014

Limonov: A Novel Emmanuel Carrère (translated by John Lambert)
Allen Lane, pp.340, £20, ISBN: 9781846148200

If Eduard Limonov, the subject of Emmanuel Carrère's utterly engrossing biographical 'novel', hadn't invented himself, Carrère would have had to invent him. This is not to say that Limonov, one of the most colourful and controversial characters to have emerged on the Russian literary and political landscapes in the last half century, is a liar. Quite the contrary. At any given moment — be he an adolescent hoodlum in the industrial Ukrainian city of Kharkiv in the 1950s and 1960s, a promising poet in Moscow in the relatively peaceful but stultifying Brezhnev years, a resentful down-and-out-émigré memoirist in punk-era New York, a mercenary with the Serbs at Sarajevo in the ugliest moments of the Yugoslav wars, or the leader of a pseudo-fascist political party of 'National Bolsheviks', hell-bent on restoring Russia's former glory and willing to serve a stint in prison to prove his resolve — Limonov is fiercely committed to his role, inhabiting it completely.

But it is very much a role, and one he had selected before he had a name for it, when he was still a young scrapper named Eduard Savenko, son of a middling KGB colonel, deciding between a life of crime and one of poetry. As Carrère reports, one of the pivotal moments in his subject's life occurred at a salon for the underground poets and artists of Kharkiv, hosted by Limonov's soon-to-be common-law wife, Anna Rubinstein:
One night, the little group assembled at Anna's place to play at renaming themselves. Eduard Savenko [becomes] Ed Limonov, a tribute to his bellicose humour, because limon means 'lemon', and limonka is slang for a kind of hand grenade. While the others will drop those pseudonyms, he'll keep his. Even his name he wants to owe to no one but himself.

From that point on, Limonov was to be Savenko's nom de plume and nom de guerre; there was no looking back. There was no more Savenko.

This moment may hold a key to much that is seemingly inexplicable in Limonov's career — much that may strike the western eye as a blatant contradiction. Take the rabid nationalist's philo-Semitism:
There are a lot of things you can hold against Eduard, but not anti-Semitism. It has nothing to do with his moral elevation, nor with his historical consciousness — like most Russians who perpetuate the memory of their 20 million war dead, he couldn't care less about the Shoah — but with a sort of snobbery. For him the fact that your average Russian — and even more your average Ukrainian — is an anti-Semite is the best reason not to be one yourself. Looking askance at Jews is something for blinkered, dull-witted rednecks, something for a Savenko.

There are indeed a lot of things one can hold against Eduard: he is, in all likelihood, a war criminal, and is currently doing his — thankfully inadequate — best to foment further destabilisation in the east of Ukraine. He is a narcissist, perhaps a genuine psychopath. But this intrepid adventurer, this self-invented man of action, this writer of stirring, provocative, hilarious and often heartbreaking autobiographical 'novels', is also a representative figure (dare I say hero?) of our time.

He is an unreconstructed romantic, embodying the best and, largely, the worst ideals associated with the type. No wonder he fascinates Carrère, who is, for all his talent and achievement, an essentially average man, a bourgeois. Carrère toys with right-wing ideology in youth: Limonov leads a nationalist party. Carrère sets off for Java with his ravishing girlfriend in order to avoid military service, and returns to Paris alone, with a bad novel and two crates of unsellable bathing suits; Limonov sets off for New York from the Soviet Union, knowing he can never return, loses the woman of his dreams, roams the streets, takes on odd and demeaning jobs, makes love to a black man at a playground, and pursues fame as a writer without ever wavering, until he finally makes it. Carrère spends a year writing a book about Werner Herzog, has the subject call it 'bullshit' to his face, and continues to interview the man, swallowing his pride and masking his devastation; Limonov never misses an opportunity to bite at the heels of better-regarded poets and authors, like Brodsky and Solzhenitsyn, and punches a British writer in the face for defaming the Soviet Union.

Limonov has lived a life so thoroughly informed by romantic ideals that it verges on a parody of those ideals, and Carrère — weaned, like Savenko, on Dumas's Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo — explores its allure, its bathos, and its frightening consequences.

And this, in turn, allows Carrère to explore something even more consequential: the resonance, though far from perfect harmony, between Limonov's peculiar ideology and that of the current Russian administration, as well as his intuitive, deeply felt sense of what has motivated Russia's retreat from the West, of the spirit of resentment and revanchism that determines the nation's stance in the world.

Those interested in understanding the forces at play in Putin's Russia and on its periphery can learn a lot from Carrère's insightful reflections on Limonov's unlikely but (mostly) true story.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 02, 2014, 11:43:18 PM
Quote from: Gups on October 30, 2014, 01:19:09 PM
Been vaguely looking for a decent overview of early American history. Have downloaded the Wood book. Thanks for the tip off Tim.
You're welcome. :)

About 300 pages in. It's very solid and is filling a big gap in my knowledge of American history. It's a little too top down though - so far all political/constitutional history with nothing much about economics or social changes.

The Minsky Moment

The Howe book is better on that.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Finished Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?"

Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies, so I thought it was time I finally read the book it's based on. I knew that the movie was a very loose adaptation of the source, but I didn't expect something of a Fallout setting. :lol:

Still, a very good book, and though not a religious or even spiritual person I liked the take on the subject that the book offers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.