And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on September 06, 2014, 05:25:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2014, 07:08:15 PM
BEE didn't become the banner boy for the archetypal '80s young white male for nothing, Sav.

He wrote what he knew.

Has anyone read "Imperial Bedrooms" (the sequel to "Less than Zero'")?  They have a copy of it at my local library and I was wondering if it's worth the effort.

It wasn't; (even though it's just over 160 pages).  Clay has become some sort of Clay-Patrick Bateman hybrid in the past 25 years; so that he does disturbing things, but just doesn't care.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Maladict on September 29, 2014, 01:42:47 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 29, 2014, 12:12:06 PM
I read the first volume of Will Durant's story of Civilization "Our Oriental Heritage."  It covers Egypt and the Middle East until Alexander and India, China and Japan to then then present day (1934.)

He takes a romantic view of the cultures of China and India; going so far as to praise Indian men for their sexual restraint.   :huh:

At the end of the volume he writes of the inevitability of a US war with Japan.  I've read some Monday morning quarterbacking of FDR's foreign policy in the Pacific in the 40s and 50s; so it was surprising to see Durant viewing it as inevitable.  Especially since it was written before even the Second Sino-Japanese war.

It's the weakest of the series by far. The romanticized writing is present in all volumes, but he does it very well.
I enjoyed reading them a lot, especially from vol.4 onwards.

I finished the second volume "The Life of Greece."  It was much better than the first; Durant is clearly more interested in the subject (and more knowledgeable of it as well.)  You're right, the romanticized view is still present and he dwells an awful lot on mythology.  Still it's a fun read; I wish I had read it in high school. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on October 12, 2014, 09:21:15 AM
Cormac McCarthy - The Road. Well that was bleak.
Better read Blood Meridian next - it's a barrel of laughs!

[Well, not really.  ;) ]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

I really should read another book, sometime this year.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

I've been going over a tourist book of Ravenna that I had gotten while there.  The translation into English isn't the best, and sometime I have to struggle to figure out what the author is getting at.  My favorite, thus far, is when the author refers to the conflict between the Guelph and Ghibelline not as an internecine war, but instead as an intestine war. :yuk:

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on October 28, 2014, 10:16:42 AM
I've been going over a tourist book of Ravenna that I had gotten while there.  The translation into English isn't the best, and sometime I have to struggle to figure out what the author is getting at.  My favorite, thus far, is when the author refers to the conflict between the Guelph and Ghibelline not as an internecine war, but instead as an intestine war. :yuk:

Simply descriptive.

As in, "carried out by sticking daggers in their enemy's intestines".  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Agelastus

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2014, 10:20:09 AM

Simply descriptive.

"Intestine" can be used as an adjective with the meaning of "internal"; it's somewhat obsolete but still valid.

I've been informed elsewhere (but have been unable to confirm it, so at the least this may no longer be current) that said usage of the word is still present in the wording of the commission held by commissioned officers of Her Majesty' Forces.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Malthus

Quote from: Agelastus on October 28, 2014, 10:54:15 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2014, 10:20:09 AM

Simply descriptive.

"Intestine" can be used as an adjective with the meaning of "internal"; it's somewhat obsolete but still valid.

I've been informed elsewhere (but have been unable to confirm it, so at the least this may no longer be current) that said usage of the word is still present in the wording of the commission held by commissioned officers of Her Majesty' Forces.

"Carried out by sticking daggers in their enemy's internals" works too.  ;)

Savonarola

Quote from: Agelastus on October 28, 2014, 10:54:15 AM

I stand corrected; I've never seen it used that way before.

Agelastus

Quote from: Savonarola on October 28, 2014, 10:57:57 AM
I stand corrected; I've never seen it used that way before.

I'm only aware of this because I tried to make a humorous post concerning another poster's usage of it in a thread on the Alternate History forums - only to discover that it was legitimate.

My post started, appropriately enough in hindsight, with "Ouch"...  :Embarrass:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Queequeg

Anyone know anything on the late Roman Empire?  Like Aurelian, Diocletian, up to the Collapse.  Besides Heather. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Maladict

Quote from: Queequeg on October 28, 2014, 12:09:21 PM
Anyone know anything on the late Roman Empire?  Like Aurelian, Diocletian, up to the Collapse.  Besides Heather.

Peter Brown is your man. I haven't read his latest, Through the Eye of a Needle, but the reviews were good.
Averil Cameron also had a new book out a few years ago, The Mediterranean World in Late Antiquity: AD 395-600.

The Later Roman Empire by A.H.M. Jones is still a solid work, even though it is decades old.
Chris Wickham and Glen Bowersock are also quality authors.

There is much more, of course, but you'll need to be more specific.

CountDeMoney

You want to read a fascinating bio, The Life of Belisarius: The Last Great General of Rome by Lord Mahon is fantastic despite its age, and a great window into the end-life of Rome.  What an amazing general.

Maladict

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 28, 2014, 01:32:28 PM
You want to read a fascinating bio, The Life of Belisarius: The Last Great General of Rome by Lord Mahon is fantastic despite its age, and a great window into the end-life of Rome.  What an amazing general.

Count Belisarius by Robert Graves is good, too. It's historical fiction, but only barely fiction.

Ed Anger

IIRC, Goldsworthy has a chapter in In the Name of Rome about Julian's campaign in Gaul.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive