News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Finished Naval Firepower: Battleship Guns and Gunnery in the Dreadnought Era, by Norman Friedman. I am no expert on naval gunnery so it was fairly interesting. Not the widest approach to the subject though: "btw there's also guns, shells and armor to consider, they get their own short chapter at the back of the book".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

"It is the kind of thing you either immediately say yes or no to. You don't think about it for very long," said Atwood

Correct. You immediately say no.

What's the point of denying everyone the ability to read it for a hundred years? It's not like it won't exist by then or anything. You just make it so people who might want to read it will die without the opportunity.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Cleaning out pop's books from my mother's house. I've salvaged so far:

The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler 1953

The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain 1921  Edit: Also Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, all 1921

We by Charles Lindbergh 1927

North to the Orient
by Anne Lindbergh 1935

A History of England and the Empire-Commonwealth, Hall-Albion-Pope Fourth Edition 1965

A History of Modern Germany 1648-1840, A History of Modern Germany 1840-1945 and A History of Modern Germany The Reformation by Hajo Holborn 1967

The Arms of Krupp 1587-1968
by William Manchester 1968

Disraeli, A Picture of the Victorian Age by Andre Maurois 1928

The Deerslayer by JF Cooper 1938

Complete Poems of Keats and Shelley 1940

Salome by Oscar Wilde 1930----Together with a clipping from a NYC newspaper that my grandmother apparently saved and put in the book. It's a play review that starts off "Salome's first performance is still the most notorious cause celebre in the musical annals of New York. It was an occasion comparable only to the riot which Stravinsky's Sacre du Princeps created in Paris." On the back is an ad for Schenley Reserve whiskey.

Bismarck and the Development of Germany
by Pflanze 1963

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Sounds like Pops had some real taste in books.

Admiral Yi

Sounds like pops might have been a fan of Herr Schickelgruber.  :ph34r:

Maladict

Caved in and read one of Crowley's books, Empires of the Sea. Sadly, it's as overdramatized as I'd feared.

Savonarola

I read Joan Abelove's "Saying it out Loud" about a young Jewish girl whose high strung mother is dying of brain cancer while her aloof father is unable to relate to her.  It's not much of a story; just a quick sketch (probably autobiographical.) 

I'm glad I don't have Jewish parents; it sounds like that would be a terrible experience.   :(

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Can anyone recommend good books on the history of Japan and/or Korea?

Anything from around 500B.C. to the early 20th century.

I'm particularly interested in the Yayoi migration from Korea to Japan, the three kingdom era of Korea, the Kamakura shogunate, the Goreyo Kingdom, the warring state era of Japan, the Imjin War and the Meiji restoration.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Any suggestions? There are plenty of well reviewed books for the 1600-2000 period that I've seen but I want to start with earlier periods.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Won't you get lynched if they see you reading a Japanese history book?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 11, 2014, 07:29:05 PM
Won't you get lynched if they see you reading a Japanese history book?  :hmm:
Kindle.

Plus, I did request Korean suggestions.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Anyone know any books on super early Roman/Classical Italian history?  Pre-Punic wars.  Etruscans and Tarquins and whatnot. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Queequeg

That's what I mean.  I want anthropology as much as anything. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."