News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on May 28, 2014, 08:15:49 PM
Binging on Walker Percy in preparation for the inaugural Walker Percy Weekend in St. Francisville, LA.

Now that sounds fun as balls. 

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2014, 04:28:19 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 28, 2014, 04:19:27 PM
Ghost Soldiers (The Cabanatuan Raid)

I really enjoyed that book.  Very well written.

Good to hear. I was kind of skeptical on it.

No Holding Back is very good so far. The author gives a good background on the state of the Canuck army from 1920-1939. A good run down on the officer corps too, that led to serious mistakes being made in Verrières Ridge, Operations Atlantic and Totalize.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2014, 11:41:38 PM
Quote from: Scipio on May 28, 2014, 08:15:49 PM
Binging on Walker Percy in preparation for the inaugural Walker Percy Weekend in St. Francisville, LA.

Now that sounds fun as balls.
Yeah. All of the Percy scholars are coming in on their own dime, since this is the first one. All the tickets are sold with a week to go. The coolest part: tour either the nuclear power plant or Angola prison, both of which figure into Percy's work prominently. Unfortunately, both of those trips are in conflict with another lecture I want to attend.

Gonna be a fun weekend.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Words of Radiance, the sequel to Way of Kings.

Holy crap this was great! Sanderson's best yet. He even made big progress on his two flaws, pacing and humor. Plot, world building, characters, and themes were as good as ever.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 01, 2014, 07:37:30 PM
Words of Radiance, the sequel to Way of Kings.

Holy crap this was great! Sanderson's best yet. He even made big progress on his two flaws, pacing and humor. Plot, world building, characters, and themes were as good as ever.

I liked Way of Kings a lot.  When I was in the book store last week they didnt have the Radiance so it will have to wait for me to get through the stack I did get.

Grey Fox

Words is better than WoK.

Is Interlude are less boring and less about random characters. The Oververse of the Cosmere is also more apparent, which is good.

One thing I do not like about Brandon is how young he makes his characters. You are not GRR Martin, ffs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

Yep, it was a masterwork. Probably his best-written book yet, which is something given its size. The Emperor's Soul may be a contender but it's a novella.

Pedrito

Quote from: Queequeg on May 17, 2014, 01:41:38 PM
Anyone else read 2666?
I slugged up to two thirds but never managed to finish it, although it seemed to be a good book. The killings part becomes almost unbearable. I'll try again in the future, but right now I need something lighter.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 05, 2014, 08:27:36 PM
QuoteThe Safeguard of the Sea: A Naval History of Britain 660-1649
The Command of the Ocean: A Naval History of Britain, 1649-1815
I was amazed how quickly I read the first one. I've got the second one on my shelf, though I've not read it yet.

You're right, especially the second half was a very quick read. Excellent book, looking forward to the second part.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 02, 2014, 12:16:39 PM
Words is better than WoK.

Is Interlude are less boring and less about random characters. The Oververse of the Cosmere is also more apparent, which is good.

One thing I do not like about Brandon is how young he makes his characters. You are not GRR Martin, ffs.
Most are late teens or early twenties. There are others in their 30s or 50s. Only a couple of interlude characters are in their early teens. That's a bit older than GRRM's characters, he has tons of major characters under 15.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Pedrito on June 02, 2014, 12:32:26 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 17, 2014, 01:41:38 PM
Anyone else read 2666?
I slugged up to two thirds but never managed to finish it, although it seemed to be a good book. The killings part becomes almost unbearable. I'll try again in the future, but right now I need something lighter.

L.

I got about half way through. I liked the part with the professors of German literature, but afterwards it lost me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: