News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I just finished the White Yajur Veda; which is a collection of liturgies for the various rites of the Vedic age.  It's more recent than the Rig Veda or the Samaveda so some concepts of modern Hinduism like the caste system and karma are more obvious and more defined.  There are some surprises in these rituals, like the horse-sacrifice ritual; but vegetarianism doesn't seem to be a widespread concept in the Vedic age.

There is (for Capetan Mihali) a somewhat better description of Soma in these rituals.  The plant needs to be dug up (rather than simply gathered), and has shoots.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

So Martin has a book coming out this fall detailing all the history (aka back history) of his world?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EGMGGVK/ref=pd_csr_hcb_youra_b_i
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

The Monster at the End of This Book

[spoiler]It's Grover [/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Reading the autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini. It's pretty 'out there'.

Josephus

Dan Simmons' latest, Abominable.

Read it on the beach in Cuba.

I really enjoy Simmons' latest thriller/horror works, especially Terror which focussed on the doomed expedition into the NorthWest passage.

I'm a huge Everest fan (never climbed it, or ever will, but have read just about everyhting on it), so this book,which was about an unsanctioned climb up the mountain the year after Mallory's disappearance whetted my appetite.

It was kind of strange. The first two thirds read like a real Everest climb account. obviously well researched. It was only the final third that the novel strayed into "thriller" territory. --and it actually involved Hitler. A good read, but if reading about crampons, tents, icefalls, and general climbing history is not your cup of cold tea, then don't bother.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Maladict on March 18, 2014, 03:50:57 AM
Reading the autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini. It's pretty 'out there'.

I bet. :lol:  Is it worth reading?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Maladict

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 18, 2014, 07:58:17 PM
I bet. :lol:  Is it worth reading?

So far, definitely. But I'm not sure how much ego I can take.

Ed Anger

I'm re-reading A Distant Mirror.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 19, 2014, 06:18:58 AM
I have that book, read some of it a while ago.

The Brain

The blessing of growing old and demented. All those new books. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I could read "Proud Tower" again at some point, I think.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Currently reading House of Leaves by Danielweski.  A bit trippy, as expected, but the story format isn't nearly as bizarre as I had been lead to believe.

Next up : Richard Overy's The Bombing War.   :bowler:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

Quote from: Habbaku on March 19, 2014, 11:40:14 AM
Currently reading House of Leaves by Danielweski.  A bit trippy, as expected, but the story format isn't nearly as bizarre as I had been lead to believe.

Next up : Richard Overy's The Bombing War.   :bowler:
I was ultimately very disappointed by Leaves. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on March 19, 2014, 06:56:41 AM
I have that book, read some of it a while ago.

While I liked the detail it provided on 14th century, I didn't care so much for the asides on the mentioned family or the attempt to tie it to 20th century conflicts. Felt a bit muddied.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.