News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

I just read Ludes, a 1982 memoir written by Ben Stein of all people about his friend's descent into Quaalude addiction in the late 70's.   :huh:  Kind of an odd book, but he's an engaging writer and the story is quite emotional.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Re-reading Two Ocean War, by Samuel Morison. A favorite of mine on the US Navy in WWII.

I keep meaning to pick up the 15 volume set, History of United States Naval Operations in World War II, but I'm lazy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on June 15, 2009, 05:01:28 PM
Quote from: katmai on June 15, 2009, 04:54:17 PM
Anybody picked up the first book in  new vampire trilogy co-written by Guillermo Del Toro?
Check your in box.

Thanks for the links Judas Arnold.

Also went and picked up a hard copy version as i just can't follow audio books.

Also picked up World War Z, finished it in about 5 hours.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Books just ordered with a view to my summer reading list:
The Pursuit of Glory: Europe 1648-1815 - Tim Blanning
Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947 - Christopher Clark
Empires of the Sea: The Final Battle for the Mediterranean, 1521-1580 - Roger Crowley
White Eagle, Red Star: The Polish-Soviet War, 1919-20 - Norman Davies

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

BuddhaRhubarb

Reading Charlie Stross' near future SF: " Halting State". It's about uncovering a heist that takes place in a MMORPG that has RL repercussions. Just getting into it. He's got a nice style, this Stross. Looking fwd to goin back and seeing how his other books stack up. I hear "Saturn's Children" is great.
:p

Ed Anger

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 18, 2009, 11:18:42 AM
Reading Charlie Stross' near future SF: " Halting State". It's about uncovering a heist that takes place in a MMORPG that has RL repercussions. Just getting into it. He's got a nice style, this Stross. Looking fwd to goin back and seeing how his other books stack up. I hear "Saturn's Children" is great.

Didn't Larry Niven already do that with Dream Park?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 18, 2009, 02:53:57 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 18, 2009, 11:18:42 AM

Didn't Larry Niven already do that with Dream Park?

Dunno? umm sure, maybe. :shrug: So far this guy is doing his story about that idea fairly well. I'm sure Niven was Ringworld-tastic, though with his story about that.

William Gibson also, in more than one book, Stephenson, etc....
:p

Queequeg

Suppose it would be the Acme of foolishness to inquire if anyone could suggest a book about the rise of the Safavid from small Sufi order to Empire?  Ismai'l I?  The Qizilbashes?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Do such books exist? I'm always on the lookout for good Safavid books but never can find any.  I once copied the cambridge history safavid section.  I broke down and bought this book, it is alright although it focuses on all of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Safavid-Iran-Rebirth-Persian-Library/dp/1845118308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245386406&sr=8-1
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2009, 11:44:50 PM
Do such books exist? I'm always on the lookout for good Safavid books but never can find any.  I once copied the cambridge history safavid section.  I broke down and bought this book, it is alright although it focuses on all of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Safavid-Iran-Rebirth-Persian-Library/dp/1845118308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245386406&sr=8-1
Just bought it. 

I'm a little surprised.  I knew you had an interest in the period, but 'always on the lookout?'   Do we: share interests?   :o
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on June 19, 2009, 12:01:33 AM
Just bought it. 

I'm a little surprised.  I knew you had an interest in the period, but 'always on the lookout?'   Do we: share interests?   :o

As a I never responded, yes I am often on the lookout. I think it is sad when generally the best sources I have are my photocopies of bits of the Cambridge History of Iran and assorted histories I can find online.

And apologies for sort of recommending that book. I revisited it lately and it isn't that great but when one is dealing with a paucity of sources. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2009, 04:27:18 AM
White Eagle, Red Star: The Polish-Soviet War, 1919-20 - Norman Davies

Just finished this.  Interesting, well-balanced read, I thought.  It's a shame more information's not available (or hasn't been put into English).
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

AnchorClanker

Christopher Clark is excellent.  He's just written a bio of Wilhelm II, which Amazon will de sending shortly.

The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Malthus

Just finished The Lost City of Z which was very interesting I thought - H. Rider Haggard! Madame Blavatsky! Lost civilzations! The latest in Amazonian archaeology! A famous disappearance! - but I'd have liked more information on the archaeology.

Is it the case that every single eccentric of the late 19th early 20th centuries was 'into' Theosophy and spiritualism? Sometimes it seems so.   :lol:

A definite must-read for anyone interested in the tragic tale of a real-life "Indiana Jones" character. Complete with maggot infestations.

http://www.amazon.ca/Lost-City-Deadly-Obsession-Amazon/dp/0385513534/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247594066&sr=8-1

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2009, 04:27:18 AM
Books just ordered with a view to my summer reading list:
[...]
Empires of the Sea: The Final Battle for the Mediterranean, 1521-1580 - Roger Crowley
[...]

Started with this. Starts with the conquest of Rhodes and goes to the Battle of Lepanto. Was the Sunday Times history book of 2008. Informatively and entertainingly written so far. Makes me want to play EU3.

I've also been informed by Amazon.co.uk (I hate them <_< ) that a new book about the Thirty Years War is coming out:
Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War (Hardcover) by Peter H. Wilson

992 pages.
QuoteThe horrific series of conflicts known as the Thirty Years War (1618–48) tore the heart out of Europe, killing perhaps a quarter of all Germans and laying waste to whole areas of Central Europe to such a degree that many towns and regions never recovered. All the major European powers apart from Russia were heavily involved and, while each country started out with rational war aims, the fighting rapidly spiralled out of control, with great battles giving way to marauding bands of starving soldiers spreading plague and murder. The war was both a religious and a political one and it was this tangle of motives that made it impossible to stop. Whether motivated by idealism or cynicism, everyone drawn into the conflict was destroyed by it. At its end a recognizably modern Europe had been created but at a terrible price. Peter Wilson's book is a major work, the first new history of the war in a generation, and a fascinating, brilliantly written attempt to explain a compelling series of events. Wilson's great strength is in allowing the reader to understand the tragedy of mixed motives that allowed rulers to gamble their countries' future with such horrifying results. The principal actors in the drama (Wallenstein, Ferdinand II, Gustavus Adolphus, Richelieu) are all here, but so is the experience of the ordinary soldiers and civilians, desperately trying to stay alive under impossible circumstances.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.