Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote2,000 page biography

TLDR
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Reading short stories by Ronald Fairbank at the moment. So over-the-top, they are actually funny.

Also, could this thread be stickied please? It's a bitch to find, especially as the title is retarded (not "What you are reading?", to make it similar to other threads about movies or music).

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2009, 09:16:39 AM

They demonstrate he's obviously worked on this problem. The worst offenders in this respect was Cryptonomicon and The Diamond Age, both of which just sort of ended while the story was still going;

I've never seen it as a problem.  He tends to jump you into the middle of a story as much as possible, leaving in the middle is perfectly fine.  I thought the ending of Anathem was the weakest part, dragging on unecessarily.  The Baroque cycle was also seriously bloated, particularly the first book.  It could have been nicely trimmed and turned into a tighter series.

katmai

Anybody picked up the first book in  new vampire trilogy co-written by Guillermo Del Toro?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: katmai on June 15, 2009, 04:54:17 PM
Anybody picked up the first book in  new vampire trilogy co-written by Guillermo Del Toro?
Check your in box.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2009, 02:27:44 AM
I just ordered:
Maps of War
Remarkable Maps: 100 Examples of How Cartography Defined, Changed and Stole the World
Cities of the World: A History in Maps
New Worlds: Maps from the Age of Discovery
To the Ends of the Earth: 100 Maps That Changed the World

Maps galore! :w00t:

Books arrived yesterday. The small ones are really nice. The "Maps of War" and "Maps from the Age of Discovery" in their 43.8 x 35.6 cm format are faptastic, containing ca. 100 large prints each; Maps of War covers historical battle/campaign/siege maps from 16th century to 19th century. :mmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Alatriste

I just bought A Dying Light in Corduba and Alexandria signed by the author, Lindsay Davis herself.

In the last times I have started to hate historical novels with a passion, too many pathetic wannabes with absolutely no qualification are writing them just because they are fashionable, and historical detective novels are even worse, but I make an exception with Lindsay Davis: she knows the field and her novels are very good; actually the detective part in some of them is merely en excuse, a MacGuffin if you like.

Malthus

I just bought The Fall of the West: Death of the Roman Superpower by Adrian Goldsworthy. Anyone read this? Views?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on June 16, 2009, 07:58:33 AM
I just bought The Fall of the West: Death of the Roman Superpower by Adrian Goldsworthy. Anyone read this? Views?
No, but the title strikes me as anachronistic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Why do adult people buy maps to study? That sounds like the most boring thing ever.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2009, 10:20:02 AM
Why do adult people buy maps to study? That sounds like the most boring thing ever.

Is something wrong, Marty? I've found you likable enough lately but today you seem to be drifting into whiny , I'm a cool gay, teen mode. Problems on the home front?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2009, 10:21:52 AM

Is something wrong, Marty? I've found you likable enough lately but today you seem to be drifting into whiny , I'm a cool gay, teen mode. Problems on the home front?
What, unhappy I am stealing your act? :P

Ok, I will be less whiny. I'm just feeling a bit blue, mostly because of the weather being shitty and overall boredom.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2009, 10:23:48 AM
Sorry, but I never bash on people for studying maps ('cepting Tim) and never go on about my fabulous apparel and parade of accessories. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2009, 10:23:48 AM

Ok, I will be less whiny. I'm just feeling a bit blue, mostly because of the weather being shitty and overall boredom.

Know what helps with the blues? Studying maps.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

I love maps :o

Antique maps are one of the few antique things I understand.
Let's bomb Russia!