News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 17, 2013, 03:07:26 PM
Read Master and Commander  -  apart from not being entirely sure I understood what part of the ship he was talking about most of the time, I enjoyed the book and I am on to the second in the series.

I suspect one needs a kind of Grumbleresque first hand knowledge of tall ships to really enjoy this one.

Just let the terminology wash over you without trying to understand what it means, and they are wonderful, wonderful stories.

I read the first then obsessively read the remaining 19 in the span of 18 months.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on January 17, 2013, 03:13:34 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 17, 2013, 02:58:09 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 17, 2013, 02:52:59 PM
Just read The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (in English translation, natch). It's one of the best historical fiction works I've read - I particularly enjoyed the author's dry, understated humour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Ships

It's an awesome book. Bengtsson's writing style was always great.

Btw, his Life of Charles XII could possibly be of interest. It's non-fiction and obviously somewhat dated, but his writing is excellent.

Heh, I really do love his style. I'll have a look to see if there is a good English translation available of that bio. What a pity that The Long Ships is his only work of fiction!

Thanks for the tip!  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Read Master and Commander  -  apart from not being entirely sure I understood what part of the ship he was talking about most of the time, I enjoyed the book and I am on to the second in the series.

I suspect one needs a kind of Grumbleresque first hand knowledge of tall ships to really enjoy this one.

9 out of 10 debauched sloths agree.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Darth Wagtaros

I have a book called something like A Glossary for the Aubrey and Maturin series or some such that explains it all.
PDH!

The Brain

I think Languish knows all the technical terms for buggery, thank you very much.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on January 17, 2013, 03:22:32 PM
I think Languish knows all the technical terms for buggery, thank you very much.

:lol:

Josephus

Stern=rear or aft-most part of ship.

Bow=front or foremost part of ship.

;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Poop deck is where the magic happens.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

I just thought they pooped off the deck.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

I enjoyed the Aubrey & Maturin series immensely, up until about the 10th or 11th book in the series. So enjoy the trip CC :)

Jacob

My most recent read was River of Smoke by Amitav Ghosh - the second in the trilogy after Sea of Poppies.

The action primarily takes place in Shanghai. It's interesting to see bits on the opium trade and wars from a different perspective than usual, but overall I thought the book a little more disjointed than what I had come to expect.

jimmy olsen

Anyways, with regards to A Memory of Light, I really loved the second half of the book. However the first half could have been better, there's just so much going on that isn't completely fleshed out. The 1st 24 chapters should really have been expanded into their own 8-900 page book. The second half would only need a prologue and a little fleshing out here and there to make it's own complete 500 page novel.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on January 17, 2013, 04:59:30 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 17, 2013, 07:42:51 AM
Agent of Byzantium was good.

Bearable? Sure. Good? :yeahright:
I was young and remember it being good.

Just finished Memory of Light. Enjoyed it.
PDH!

Josephus

Anyone else notice the price of paperbacks has soared over the past year? :mad: New paperbacks are now going for close to $20. :( (Cdn)
Civis Romanus Sum