News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

Finally got around to starting "world without end" by Ken Follet, the sort of follower to Pillars of the Earth that I read a decade or so ago.

It keeps me entertained, but doesn't really have the same qualities as Pillars did, I am a tad disappointed.

V

Josephus

Problem with World Without End is that it was pretty much the same story as the first, set some hundred years later. Doesn't have the same ooomph as the original.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Wife and I dumped the kid for the night on his grandparents. :thumbsup:

We went out for supper (the elsewhere mentioned underwhelming italian restaurant), then went to the bookstore.

We bought some books on potty training.   :huh:

Plus for daddy - I bought 1493 (on the Columbian exchange of plants and animals post-1492), and...

The Wind In The Willows.   :cool:

Haven't read Wind in the Willows for 25 years or so, but so far as fucking good as I vaguely remember it to be. :punk:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2012, 10:02:45 PM

We went out for supper (the elsewhere mentioned underwhelming italian restaurant), then went to the bookstore.

Plus for daddy - I bought 1493 (on the Columbian exchange of plants and animals post-1492), and...

Haven't read Wind in the Willows for 25 years or so, but so far as fucking good as I vaguely remember it to be. :punk:

See i would never comment Thrilling on this post.
No siree!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on April 29, 2012, 10:04:54 PM

See i would never comment Thrilling on this post.
No siree!

Don'y you dare try your sarcasm about a post on a time-honoured children's classic. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

I haven't read shit in months.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Mine is somewhat loose. And very dark.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Wind in the Willows is awesome :hug:

The chapter Piper At The Gates of Dawn is surreal. (also the name of Pink Floyd's first record...bit of trivia there for you)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Gups

Read Knockemstiff by Donald Pollock. Short stories about white trash in southern Ohio. Brilliantly written, somewhat disturbing. 

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on April 30, 2012, 09:45:41 AM
Read Knockemstiff by Donald Pollock. Short stories about white trash in southern Ohio. Brilliantly written, somewhat disturbing.

Heh, I've been reading stuff of that ilk recently.

Check out The Devil All The Time, same author. I liked it better than Knockemstiff - it's a novel set very much in the same setting. Definitely an author to watch.

Also, Edge of Dark Water by Joe Lansdale.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Gups

Thanks Malthus, waiting for The Devil All The Time to come out in paperback/become cheaper at Amazon but will certainly buy.

The Lansdale sounds good.

You might like the Nick Harkaway books if you haven't tried them already. Urban fantasy with lots of humour.

Maladict

Looking for a book on the Great Game. Non-fiction, obviously. Anyone?

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on April 30, 2012, 09:56:38 AM
Thanks Malthus, waiting for The Devil All The Time to come out in paperback/become cheaper at Amazon but will certainly buy.

The Lansdale sounds good.

You might like the Nick Harkaway books if you haven't tried them already. Urban fantasy with lots of humour.

I'll check out The Gone-Away World ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Maladict on April 30, 2012, 11:17:54 AM
Looking for a book on the Great Game. Non-fiction, obviously. Anyone?

One I liked is called Shooting Leave. Adventures by mad Englishment spying out central asia in the Great Game.