And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 19, 2009, 03:34:11 PM
No, YOU are : teh Jaron.

Nah, he's the one with the Hamster avatar.

The Books of the South give an interesting different backdrop to the Black Company that is missing in the first books.  In the first books, you have your generic pseudo-medieval setting (complete with fractured fairy tales for the story of the Lady and the Dominator).  In the later books, you have fantasy India, which is more interesting.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: ulmont on May 19, 2009, 03:37:21 PM

The Books of the South give an interesting different backdrop to the Black Company that is missing in the first books.  In the first books, you have your generic pseudo-medieval setting (complete with fractured fairy tales for the story of the Lady and the Dominator).  In the later books, you have fantasy India, which is more interesting.
Long, convoluted, and boring.  The Lady was an unseen villain is far more interesting than the Lady as a housewife.
PDH!

The Brain

Tell me about the Lady and the Dominator.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on May 19, 2009, 03:41:07 PM
You see when a man and a woman love each other very very much and get bored with the usual routine they decide to spice things up.
PDH!

The Brain

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 19, 2009, 03:42:03 PM
You see when a man and a woman love each other very very much and get bored with the usual routine they decide to spice things up.

I see. Like in hit song Spice Up Your Life with pop sensation the Spice Girls.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Look at my avatar. Really says it all.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grallon

I read The Judging Eye http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judging-Eye-Aspect-emperor-R-Scott-Bakker/dp/1841495379 by Scott Bakker ovr the weekend.  This is the 1st of his "Aspect Emperor" trilogy that follows "The Prince of Nothing" trilogy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Nothing.  For a board full of fantasy afficionados one would think others would have commented about it since it's certainly among the best fantasy written - period.  He's better than Martin or Erikson.  At times his prose reaches lyrical heights or philosophical depths one would expect from 'serious' works only.  And the world he's created is quite fascinating.  You can visit the official board here: http://forum.three-seas.com/index.php?sid=73d367d61416d89f03ffa03a09bff621

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: Grallon on May 19, 2009, 04:00:21 PM
I read The Judging Eye http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judging-Eye-Aspect-emperor-R-Scott-Bakker/dp/1841495379 by Scott Bakker ovr the weekend.  This is the 1st of his "Aspect Emperor" trilogy that follows "The Prince of Nothing" trilogy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Nothing.  For a board full of fantasy afficionados one would think others would have commented about it since it's certainly among the best fantasy written - period.  He's better than Martin or Erikson.  At times his prose reaches lyrical heights or philosophical depths one would expect from 'serious' works only.  And the world he's created is quite fascinating.  You can visit the official board here: http://forum.three-seas.com/index.php?sid=73d367d61416d89f03ffa03a09bff621

G.

Looks interesting. I assume one should begin with the "Prince of Nothing" series?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grallon

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 04:02:23 PM

Looks interesting. I assume one should begin with the "Prince of Nothing" series?

Definately; this one is a 'filler' book as CC would say.  That is one need to know the background since it sets up the stage for the rest of the trilogy.  And the gods be praised, Bakker looks like he will finish this series before 2073.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

AnchorClanker

Currently working through "The Noble Revolt", an account of the hows and whys the Earl of Warwick and the
Earl of Bedford and their friends began to undermine and confront the government of King Charles I.

I like the book, but it's irritating me how much of a bastard Warwick was.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 19, 2009, 03:39:05 PM
Quote from: ulmont on May 19, 2009, 03:37:21 PM

Long, convoluted, and boring.  The Lady was an unseen villain is far more interesting than the Lady as a housewife.

<Spoiler for Timmay>

But you have Soulcatcher running amuck, which saves the books of the South.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

There's a new biography of Chang Kai-Shek out, anyone read it?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Scipio

Quote from: Queequeg on May 19, 2009, 05:17:59 PM

Executive summary:  Chiang was a dick.  Madame Chiang had a strap-on.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Scipio on May 19, 2009, 05:28:00 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 19, 2009, 05:17:59 PM

Executive summary:  Chiang was a dick.  Madame Chiang had a strap-on.

:lol: vintage Skippy.
:p

Oexmelin

I have read American Gods by Gaiman and liked it. Which of the others he has written should I read next ?
Que le grand cric me croque !