News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I don't, but that's why it's a joke.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Ready Player One. I liked it. 

Confessions of a D-List Supervillain. I enjoyed it.  Got it off the dollar store for Kindle on Amazon.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

By the way, got that book and it's pretty good as a scholarly look at the subject, but the amount of Greek they use (and define once) is wicked annoying. I'm constantly flipping back to recheck vocab.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Do they do that thing where they do it in Greek script, too?  That's obnoxious.  I get it, I can read it (although not as well as Cyrillic), but it's lazy and pretentious at the same time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 09, 2012, 03:17:55 PM
Do they do that thing where they do it in Greek script, too?  That's obnoxious.  I get it, I can read it (although not as well as Cyrillic), but it's lazy and pretentious at the same time.
No, it's at least in English.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Tried to read Abercrombie's The Heroes. Realized within 5 pages I really, really didn't give a fuck about any of the characters. Or the North part of his world. Pass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Syt

I'm in the market for a decent history of WW2.

Requirements:
- global perspective, covering all theaters
- covering not only the military but also social, political, economical aspects
- comprehensive
- can be in multiple volumes
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2012, 08:52:07 AM
I'm in the market for a decent history of WW2.

Requirements:
- global perspective, covering all theaters
- covering not only the military but also social, political, economical aspects
- comprehensive
- can be in multiple volumes

Ank really likes Overy's "Why We Won"; with some exceptions, I didn't care for it much, but those exceptions involved the social, political, and economic aspects of the war.

I think your requirements are in a bit of tension with each other.  Most anything that's written for above a smart kid's level is going to be specialized, I suspect...
Kinemalogue

11B4V

Starting The Lessons Of Modern War: Volume II: The Iran-Iraq War
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".