News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

The Cain W40K books are actually tolerable.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Never touched a 40k novel. Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader RPG books are what I read these days. The space marine RPGs hold no interest.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2012, 08:42:03 AM
Whenever I want to turn off my brain, I pick up some WH40K stuff.  Talk about checking out intellectually.

:thumbsup:  Exactly why I like them.  They're great mindless pulp sci-fi fodder.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Scipio

Finally finished The Demon Princes series by Jack Vance.  Great stuff.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

11B4V

Just got back from the local PB bookstore. Left with Mote in God's Eye, a couple Michael Moorcock and a Fritz Liber book.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2012, 08:58:22 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 03, 2012, 08:50:23 AM
Whenever I want to turn off my brain, I pick up some WH40K stuff.  Talk about checking out intellectually.

Like fiction and shit?

Both the fiction and the RPG rulebooks and companions.  As far as the fiction goes, I started with the Horus Heresy series.
Try the Ciaphas Cain series.

Also, you guys know any good books on Ancient Greek sexuality/gender?

Probably won't be able to find it on kindle, but worth a shot.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 05, 2012, 07:07:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2012, 08:58:22 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 03, 2012, 08:50:23 AM

Like fiction and shit?

Both the fiction and the RPG rulebooks and companions.  As far as the fiction goes, I started with the Horus Heresy series.
Try the Ciaphas Cain series.

Also, you guys know any good books on Ancient Greek sexuality/gender?

The Iliad.  The Odyssey.  The Oresteia.  The Trojan Women.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2012, 01:46:47 AM

The Iliad.  The Odyssey.  The Oresteia.  The Trojan Women.
I've read the first three.

Not what I was talking about though, as you're well aware.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Then you've learned the ancient Greek approach to sexuality and gender: powerful men can fuck what they want, and women are worthless.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2012, 02:26:00 AM
Then you've learned the ancient Greek approach to sexuality and gender: powerful men can fuck what they want, and women are worthless.

Indeed.  The Greeks took an abnormal delight in humiliating women.  You should see some of the more risque pottery that's been uncovered.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2012, 02:26:00 AM
Thanks Sherlock, I wouldn't have guessed.  :rolleyes:

I want to see the complexity and detail of it all.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Greeks of a socially inferior status would rage greatly when their rape chattel was taken by Greeks of socially superior status, and the Muses would sing of it.  But they'd be even more angry when their homosexual partners died, because men are actual people.

Also, it's important to kill your rape chattel's existing children at or around the same time you kill their previous owner.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2012, 07:15:06 PM
Greeks of a socially inferior status would rage greatly when their rape chattel was taken by Greeks of socially superior status, and the Muses would sing of it.  But they'd be even more angry when their homosexual partners died, because men are actual people.

Also, it's important to kill your rape chattel's existing children at or around the same time you kill their previous owner.
While you certainly have a way with words, this is not a scholarly dissertation. :contract:

1 Karma Chameleon point