News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

Slogging through "Shadow Of the Torturer" It has it's moments, but it's not at all what I remember from the series. as I read I feel the second book may have been the one I really liked. It's not bad, or poorly written, It was more exciting somehow when I was a teenager.
:p

Kleves

Devil in the White City. Going in, I didn't know anything about H.H. Holmes or the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, so the book was enjoyable. The author, however, seems to essentially make some chunks of the story up out of whole cloth, which is usually not a good thing in a history book.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

mongers

I intend to read more than one book next year.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

I intend to read no books this year.  Fuck all this words-on-paper noise.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Give Me Tomorrow: The Korean War's Greatest Untold Story - The Epic Stands of the Marines of George Company
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 31, 2011, 12:29:59 AM
Give Me Tomorrow: The Korean War's Greatest Untold Story - The Epic Stands of the Marines of George Company

Review when you get the chance, please?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Sure, I just started it though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Has anyone read a book (series?) called "The Hunger Games" or something along those lines. Co-workers keep pestering me to pick it up but I've never heard of it before. Has anyone read it and willing to give their opinion of it?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

sbr

Quote from: Jaron on December 31, 2011, 01:31:23 AM
Has anyone read a book (series?) called "The Hunger Games" or something along those lines. Co-workers keep pestering me to pick it up but I've never heard of it before. Has anyone read it and willing to give their opinion of it?

It is a "young adult" series and my oldest daughtler loved it.  I haven't read it.

Barrister

I'm half way through the Steve Jobs bio.  It was a Christmas present.  Man was Jobs a huge freak. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Man, it's weird reading about fighting raging through towns I've been to and/or traveled through.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

I've read 21% of "Give Me Tomorrow", and though the writing is nothing special, the anecdotes he relates are quite gripping.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 31, 2011, 02:03:50 AM
Man, it's weird reading about fighting raging through towns I've been to and/or traveled through.

Clearly you've never been to continental Europe. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

My younger boy and his friends all like it.

ulmont

It's basically "Battle Royale."  First one wasn't bad.