News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

In the old thread the question was raised about books about the Seven Years War that are *not* about the British Navy or the French and Indian Wars.

The Seven Years War in Europe: 1756-1763 by Franz A.J. Szabo was mentioned in the context, but I guess I'll leave it be after this reader review on Wargamer:
QuoteJust finished the above book. Let me save you the trouble and summarize: Frederick the great was an incompetent tyrant and , apparently, a coward who routinely fled from battles that his over rated Prussian Army constantly lost.  When prussia won a victory, it was only because of some type of fluke like a weather event, or a junior Austrian officer misunderstanding an order.  Austria routinely dominated the incompetent Frederick whose Prussian Army only survived through sheer luck.  Fredericks reputataion only developed due to Prussian propogandists.

I guess I should have read the author's bio first. Professor of Austrian Studies, native Austrian, and dedicated his book to his two grandfathers who, as he proudly announces, both fought for Austria-hungary during WWI.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Tried by War: Abraham Lincoln as Commander in Chief by James McPherson.

A good read that showed how Lincoln quickly developed strategic insight that far outstripped that of his generals until Grant was put in command.

Next on my list 'Lincoln and his Admirals'
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

I'm reading Tomasz Cyz's (a Polish writer) "Dionysios's returns" which is a book about Karol Szymanowski, a Polish composer, and his opera "King Roger".

Alatriste

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM
In the old thread the question was raised about books about the Seven Years War that are *not* about the British Navy or the French and Indian Wars.

The Seven Years War in Europe: 1756-1763 by Franz A.J. Szabo was mentioned in the context, but I guess I'll leave it be after this reader review on Wargamer:
QuoteJust finished the above book. Let me save you the trouble and summarize: Frederick the great was an incompetent tyrant and , apparently, a coward who routinely fled from battles that his over rated Prussian Army constantly lost.  When prussia won a victory, it was only because of some type of fluke like a weather event, or a junior Austrian officer misunderstanding an order.  Austria routinely dominated the incompetent Frederick whose Prussian Army only survived through sheer luck.  Fredericks reputataion only developed due to Prussian propogandists.

I guess I should have read the author's bio first. Professor of Austrian Studies, native Austrian, and dedicated his book to his two grandfathers who, as he proudly announces, both fought for Austria-hungary during WWI.

With critics like this I always wonder if the book is really so strongly biased or rather the reader was looking for a piece of hero worshipping and can't handle the truth(TM). In this case the 'caveat' applies even more strongly because, to put it bluntly, the entire Kingdom of Prussia survived due to sheer luck. That Old Fritz was reduced to ordering his ministers to get peace at any price is as close to an stablished fact as one can get.

Korea

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombia

It is okay. :mellow:
I want my mother fucking points!

PDH

Is this thread really unified, or is that just a catchy title to get people to post here?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: PDH on March 16, 2009, 08:54:35 AM
Is this thread really unified, or is that just a catchy title to get people to post here?
Are you calling Syt a liar?

PDH

Quote from: Martinus on March 16, 2009, 09:06:27 AM
Are you calling Syt a liar?
I believe I was calling him a savvy marketing guru, Mr. "I jump to conclusions."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on March 16, 2009, 09:42:18 AM
I believe I was calling him a savvy marketing guru, Mr. "I jump to conclusions."

I want to pick a conclusion and then jump to it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2009, 09:54:14 AM
Sorry, you have to be faux gay.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2009, 09:54:14 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 16, 2009, 09:42:18 AM

You could market that as a party game: "JUMP to Conclusions!" 

Shameless Office Space reference.
PDH!

Syt

Brain took away my "What are you listening to now" thread, so I claimed this one.

Besides, I wanted to make a follow up to something from the previous thread/forum/life, and so this presented itself naturally.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

fhdz

I'm reading The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell at the moment; when I finish that, it's on to Steve Erickson's Tours of the Black Clock.
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2009, 11:31:18 AM

Brain took away my "What are you listening to now" thread, so I claimed this one.

Punishment for changing your nick, Sytass.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould