News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavian

Currently reading a book about Vegas and the mob. It's mostly a collection of various stories and anecdotes but still interesting. I especially like the story of the two dumb Tony's who, while driving to Los Angeles in order to work for Mickey Cohen, decided to stop by Vegas and rob the Flamingo. This at a time when it was controlled by Meyer Lansky and Frank Costello among others.

The two dumb Tony's got away with 3000 $. And were later found in Los Angeles shot several times in the face.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Gaijin de Moscu

If anyone's into Historical Fantasy / Aztecs, drop me a pm with your email and I'll be happy to gift you my book on Amazon for free.

It's cheap now, but I'll increase the price soon.

Capetan Mihali

Read most of the Marquis de Sade's "120 Days of Sodom."  Goodness me.  :mellow:

My favorite passage was from the editors' foreword, though, and one I find very moving: "... as a judge, and to his mortal peril, [the Marquis de Sade] declined to sentence members of the opposition to death, explaining that while one might commit crimes for the sake of pleasure, it was not among his principles to murder in the name of justice."   :sleep:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Haven't read any Sade. Like reading about taking a dump.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Brain on September 10, 2011, 06:08:54 PM
Haven't read any Sade. Like reading about taking a dump into a kidnapped child's mouth.

FYPFY, but that is basically it.  Kind of mesmerizing in its own way, though.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 10, 2011, 06:14:21 PM
Kind of mesmerizing in its own way, though.

Yeah, he's kind of trippy.  I find it difficult to believe the argument that he was a political philosopher, though.

Sorta hard to see a daughter's dildoing her mother and sewing up her labia as a compelling argument of natural law as a counterweight to church doctrine.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2011, 06:52:57 PM
Sorta hard to see a daughter's dildoing her mother and sewing up her labia as a compelling argument of natural law as a counterweight to church doctrine.

:lol:

Zoupa

My parent's house in France looks out on Sade's castle.  Sad to say it's a crumbled pile nowadays.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2011, 06:52:57 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 10, 2011, 06:14:21 PM
Kind of mesmerizing in its own way, though.

Yeah, he's kind of trippy.  I find it difficult to believe the argument that he was a political philosopher, though.

Yeah, since he was known to have torture and raped his own servants, I don't think he was writing to test the limits of acceptable human behavior.  He just wrote about the kind of things he liked to do.  Since he also wrote about murder, and considering that he acted or tried to act on his other fantasies I think there's a strong possibility that he was also a serial killer.  I don't think there's any direct evidence of that, but serial killers are hard to find, and if a prostitute was found strangled in a ditch somewhere nobody would have cared much in those days.  The Guy was the 18th century version of the BTK serial killer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

The Makioka Sisters. Getting my literary dose of Ara Ara~

Then it's on to Crysanthemum and the Sword, which is my favourite kind of book.

I haven't read in awhile because i've been ingesting culture through alternative means. Excited to be back into it.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Brain

I'm reading a brand new Swedish book about the 1,000+ year history of Swedes east of the Baltic. Obviously it's not news to me that it existed but it's interesting to read details about for instance the history of the city of Viborg. Founded by Sweden in the 13th century, within the borders of Sweden until 1710 (officially 1721), and with a big and important Swedish community until WW2. After WW2 obviously all Swedes and Finns had left. I came through Viborg in 1991 and it sure was a sorry sight. Russians cannot into good.

If anyone's interested it's Den glömda historien by John Chrispinsson.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Zoupa on September 10, 2011, 07:13:28 PM
My parent's house in France looks out on Sade's castle.  Sad to say it's a crumbled pile nowadays.

Too bad, it would make an excellent site for an upscale hotel.

"I'm staying in the Sade's castle tonight ... ".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Going on a Le Carre binge before the release of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (:mmm:). 

It's a good binge.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2011, 08:34:41 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 10, 2011, 07:13:28 PM

Too bad, it would make an excellent site for an upscale hotel.

"I'm staying in the Sade's castle tonight ... ".  :D

I'd go.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Going to tackle Zamulin's Prokhorovka tome.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".