News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Gups on June 08, 2011, 10:13:13 AMThe China one was good but I thought there was just too much to cover.

Yeah, it's definitely a survey work.

MadImmortalMan

Slaughterhouse Five is on sale for three bucks on the kindle.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 14, 2011, 01:23:15 PM
Slaughterhouse Five is on sale for three bucks on the kindle.

The series really went down hill after Slaughterhouse 3.  By SL 4 it's pretty clear Vonnegut no longer knows how he intends to end the story and is just adding new story lines and other useless bloat.  Also he gets statistics from David Irving.  Bleh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

I have still only gotten around to completely reading one book sofar this year. :gasp:   :blush: to infinity.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on June 14, 2011, 05:19:25 PM
I have still only gotten around to completely reading one book sofar this year. :gasp:   :blush: to infinity.

Yeah...but it's War and Peace, right?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on June 14, 2011, 05:38:30 PM

:D

No one of the Larry Gonick 'cartoon history of the world' books.   :Embarrass: :blush: :Embarrass:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Not much of an accomplishment.  The book isn't that long.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on June 14, 2011, 06:38:05 PM

Not much of an accomplishment.  The book isn't that long.

It's in Russian. :contract:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Just finished reading Annabel by Kathleen Winter. Pretty decent I guess although not as engaging as Middlesex. Parents of the hermaphrodite largely become caricatures as the book progresses - brooding father who stays out in the wilderness; hysterical mother who rots away at home.

Also finished The Farewell Symphony by Edmund White. Fitting end to the autobiographical trilogy.

Still making my way through Game of Thrones and about to start Norman Mailer's Harlot's Ghost.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

You suck. I think I read 10 so far this year.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2011, 08:50:56 PM

You suck. I think I read 10 so far this year.

Doctor Seuss doesnt count. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Slargos

I got those Dresden books as audiobooks. So far I gotta say I am entertained.

Slargos

One objection, though.

If Wizards make "technology" malfunction by their very presence, how is it that he can drive around in a car with no mention of it ever going haywire?

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on June 17, 2011, 11:08:58 AM
One objection, though.

If Wizards make "technology" malfunction by their very presence, how is it that he can drive around in a car with no mention of it ever going haywire?

Magic!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Slargos

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2011, 11:09:40 AM
Quote from: Slargos on June 17, 2011, 11:08:58 AM
One objection, though.

Magic!

Why you little...  :mad: