Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 31, 2011, 10:40:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 02:47:24 PM
I've been reading Kant

Any particular reason for this?

Not really.  Philosophy is interesting.  It can also be lucrative.  I bet Minksy can tell you about a certain devotee of Karl Popper who made a fortune in international finance using some of Popper's insights.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Red Capitalism: The Fragile Financial Foundation of China's Extraordinary Rise

Two western investment bankers based out of China give a provocative and pessimistic analysis of Chinese financial institutions and economy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Norgy on June 05, 2011, 04:09:14 AM
Don't tell us how it ends!  :mad:

No Red wedding, if that is your concern.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: Syt on May 30, 2011, 12:16:09 PM
Anyone know any decent histories of Parthians, Kushan Empire, Ancient India or the Han Dynasty?

Not just a chronological account, life and customs of the inhabitants would be most interesting.

I guess not? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

The Parthians are really hard because all we know about them comes from their neighbors.  For whatever reasons Persians quit writting things down between the Seleucids and the Sassanids.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

I read a biography of Lady Jane Franklin recently.  Interesting character, if sometimes not particularily lovable.

But Ihad no idea that Sir John Franklin was at one time the governor of Van Dieman's Land (Tasmania - and the name was actually changed at Lady Franklin's insistence).  It got me slightly interested in the history of Australia, since I realized I knew nothing about it of any importance.

Can anyone suggest a book?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

There was a book that came out to great acclaim a few years back but I can't remember the title for sure.  The Fatal Shore??

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2011, 11:49:53 AM
I read a biography of Lady Jane Franklin recently.  Interesting character, if sometimes not particularily lovable.

But Ihad no idea that Sir John Franklin was at one time the governor of Van Dieman's Land (Tasmania - and the name was actually changed at Lady Franklin's insistence).  It got me slightly interested in the history of Australia, since I realized I knew nothing about it of any importance.

Can anyone suggest a book?

There's some good historical fiction if that's any use -

The Secret River by Kate Granville

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-River-Kate-Grenville/dp/184195828X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307380789&sr=1-1

Convict and family transported to Oz, gets freedom after a while, comes into conflict with the locals.

English Passengers by Matthew Kneale

http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Passengers-Matthew-Kneale/dp/0140285210/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307380907&sr=1-1

English vicar perturbed by new evolutionary theory decides that the Garden of Eden is to be found in Tasmania. Black comedy with disturbing account of ethnic cleansing of Tasmanian aborogines.

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on June 06, 2011, 11:40:40 AM
Anyone know any decent histories of Parthians, Kushan Empire, Ancient India or the Han Dynasty?

Not just a chronological account, life and customs of the inhabitants would be most interesting.

The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press has a good general survey series of Ancient China.

I only read The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han by Mark Edward Lewis, but found it quite good. Can't speak for the rest of the series, but I plan on getting the remaining books eventually.

For India, I was quite impressed by John Keay's general survey India: A History. His book on China, China: A History was worth it as well.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2011, 12:03:47 PM
There was a book that came out to great acclaim a few years back but I can't remember the title for sure.  The Fatal Shore??

Yup.

Plenty of old-fashioned convict-whupping goodness.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2011, 12:34:36 PM

The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press has a good general survey series of Ancient China.

I only read The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han by Mark Edward Lewis, but found it quite good. Can't speak for the rest of the series, but I plan on getting the remaining books eventually.

For India, I was quite impressed by John Keay's general survey India: A History. His book on China, China: A History was worth it as well.

Thanks. I've seen that India book in a local bookstore - will check it out and probably order the Chinese books. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

Cromwell by John Buchan.  A sort of companion to his shorter life of Montrose.  Fascinating work by a fascinating writer.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Gups

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2011, 12:34:36 PM

The China one was good but I thought there was just too much to cover.

BuddhaRhubarb

Reading an old Phillip Kerr book... "A Philosophical Investigation"... fun, kind of quaint actually as it came out in 92 but predicts a 2013 where everyone has "picto-phones" which sound a heck of a lot like iphones/blackberries, and other conveniences taht are fairly similar to the now. The serial killer "Wittgenstein" is well scripted and I'm enjoying the book in the same way I enjoy a good Kinky Friedman, or Elmore Leonard.
:p